Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eastwood paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlitos way, Mar 25, 2012.

1. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

has anyone used Eastwood paint and clears thinking of using there stuff .i use PPG but prices are getting out of hand..

2. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Havent used Eastwood clear. But you can look into Nasons Clear it is now Duponts little brother. But One more thing is it pretty hard to match PPG's clear when sprayed and buffed out it looks like glass. Best thing to do is get a quart and try it out and try it on a test finder.

3. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

PPG has some cheaper brands too. Their Shopline clear sprays really well, and is super durable-- never used their bases though.

Martin Senour is pretty good for the price too.

4. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I used the GM Rally red on a O/T truck. I used the single stage, its held up good for what I do with the truck. If you are just in the market for a good clear. SPI makes a great universal clear.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/index.htm

5. dtelker

dtelker
    from Indy

I've always liked the results of PPG's low-line, Omni. It may take an extra coat to cover, but at less than half the cost (sometimes a third), it more than makes up for it. And the color holds true just as well over the years as PPG's Deltron, Global, or any of the custom colors. Unfortunately for our pocketbooks, I've never found a clear yet that is as clear or smooth as PPG. Cheaper can be found, but just like tattoos: Good isn't cheap, and cheap isn't good. LOL

6. Koz

Koz

I've been using Eastwood urethanes for the past year or so. Myt observations are...

They "lay out" nicely. I'm shooting mostly with good Devilbis Gravity feed gun, 1.3mm fluid tip, at between 25-30 lb.s air. I use an old Devilbis air filter/dessicant/regulator, which filters to .01 microns and removes any trace oil in the air. As with most finishes reducer speed and viscosity control orange peel. I've had no problems with their products so far. I don't have anything out more than a year so I'm not so sure about color durability. The single stages are brutally shiney out of the can. Almost too much. The single stages are very much like U Tech 200 series, they even smell the same. Use a very good mask or air pack as they give you a vicious headache even if just exposed for a short time. The European clear is the only one I've used, once again very similar to the U Tech I'm used to. Bare in mind, I don't do show quality paints, mostly just chassis and drivers, and the UTech I'm accustomed to is not a top line material either, but I still need a decent finish. They do wheel up nicely including the single stages.

I'm painting my coupe in the same material next week. I'll post up some pics.

7. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

koz.. have you shot any eastwood black , wondering if it is black or blue black ,brown black
    thks

8. swissmike

swissmike

I used PPG OMNI with very good results and prices are very reasonable. I would recommend going with a product line that you can purchase at a local store, rather having to order stuff by mail. Nothing is more annoying than having to order another quart of this or bottle of that and wait in the middel of a paint job. The other option is buying so much stuff that you will have a lot of left over sitting on a shelf for years.

9. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

i've used ppg omni clear but had die back .any other inputs out there?

10. Koz

Koz

32v, I've used a lot of Eastwoods Boulevard Black and am using it again in a week or so on my sport coupe. It is a very deep, black/ black. It does not appear to be on either the blue or brown edge which is very unique. I find it to be closest to the old street rodder standard from the easter egg days, Sikkens Black. I never could put a cast on Sikkens Black and the Eastwood stuff is the only cheap paint I've found that captures that tone.

Now you should be really confused with that expalaination!

11. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

thks koz good info now i can order some

12. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I used Eastwoods base/clear black on my son's 94 Firebird 2 years ago. It came out really nice and still looked great when we sold the car recently. I also used their single stage white on a van and it came out great, too.