Register now to get rid of these ads!

History EASTWOOD KNOCKED ME OFF

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pats55, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery.Got a call 6 months ago from one of their employees for a can of my silver rust sealer He used his name with Eastwoods address. I told him to get lost.This company has been copying other vendors ideas for 40 years and charge more money for it .They call it Platinum rust encapsulater 3 times more powerfull than their previous encapsulater. I knew that 30 years ago .Oh well dog eat dog.

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yeh, I've had a swiveling mailbox for 10 maybe 12 years... snow plow snapped off every box up the street,
    hit mine, but it spun, saving it... now I see one local town will require them for any future builds or replacements... wish I had that patent...

3. 5window

5window

I am not sure what you're saying. I get that Eastwood has reverse engineered your product. Is it patented or otherwise proprietary? Companies copy stuff all the time-capitalism, you know?

BTW, I found Eastwood's product right away, but when I looked for your price-sheet/on-line order form, my server blocked access saying your security certificate had expired on March 12. You might want to look into that.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

They stole Pete's name too. :rolleyes:

Bob

clem, weeniewawa, Paint and 16 others like this.

5. Speedway, Eastwood, all do it and the sheep support it, but call for tech and you get a card reading "yes, may I help you?" then comes the silence.....

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hahaha !

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, so you can get the mail without going into the street? That's pretty cool. Invent one with an underground vacuum tube and you won't even have to go outside.

rg171352, Boneyard51, Dino 64 and 3 others like this.
  8. .......Better get that patented when you get it done!:eek:

9. I don't know when you "invented" that mailbox, but in 1966 my first dent in my car was made when I was taking a curve too fast in the rain and slid into a row of mailboxes....which were on pipes made to swivel. Owner said lots of people had been hitting them on that curve so he put them on a swivel.

clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Thanks for letting me know.I will take care of it.As for patents. change one item or ingredient is all it takes.Trademarks ,somebody copies your name you will spend thousands for lawyers fees and the best you will get is cease and desist.dog eat dog

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Thanks if you should ever call mention your a hamb member and tell the girls to cut you some slack

13. XXL__

XXL__

IP is an odd thing.

While I understand your point about the costs to defend, US patents apply to processes, devices, or compositions of matter. "Recipes" (such as a rust inhibitor product) would only be allowed patent protection if they exhibit "new, useful, and unobvious" properties. Simply changing a single compound in the recipe without making a clear and obvious NEW benefit would not be patentable under USPTO rules. Eastwood can't just add some paprika and avoid infringement.

As for defending your IP, you're right from a practical perspective. You'll spend lots of time and energy and Eastwood will dodge, duck, dip, dive... and dodge until you get tired of chasing them. At that point, legal protections you may have (such as patent or trademark) could be challenged because you, the owner of those rights, "failed" to protect them. In "recipe" cases, it seems the best protection is to go the trade secret route. If you can show due diligence in protecting your secret, you can make legal (including criminal-- ie, did they break into your secret recipe vault?) cases against someone ripping off your product. Unlike patents, which REQUIRE public disclosure in order to gain legal protection, trade secrets are protected by their very concept... they are SECRET. Someone gaining unauthorized access to your secret may have civil and/or criminal culpability.

However, if you never invoked IP protections on your product in the first place, well, as you say... dog eat dog. "Failing" to protect IP is effectively an offer for others to use it. This is one way that so much ends up in the public domain.

/2 cents from someone who has spent decades dealing directly with IP rights (winning some and losing others)

Also, next time I need some rust inhibitor, I'll be buying your product as I figuratively flip off Eastwood.

14. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

XXX_ is so correct. Several years ago I looked into getting a Patent on an item. For starters it is very expensive to research to see if a Patent hasen't already been filed that your item would / could be overlapping on. Then there is the additional cost of getting the Tee's crossed legally. More $$$$. OK now you have everything in place. Your Patent is only as strong as your ability $$$ to defend it. It is all pretty complicated and stacked in the Big Boys $$$ favor.

patmanta and blowby like this.
  15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Thats a cool mailbox. We must armor plate our mail boxs here in North JerseyThey like to hit them with a bat

16. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Thats a cool mailbox. We must armor plate our mail boxs here in North Jersey They like to hit them with a bat

17. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Im sorry i am not very good with message boards as you can see .XXl and woodeye thank you for your thoughts.The big guys have taken over front page listings. It used to be pennies a click to do ads now its dollars

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Coincidentally the other day I was reading the story of Robert Kearns, intermittent wiper inventor who won patents lawsuits against Ford and Chrysler, but apparently at a cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine is an old forge, bat won't stand a chance.

[​IMG]

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Man that sucks!

Bones

21. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Blowby can we mass produce that mailbox? The paint busines is wearing me down. That would be a big seller here

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Copying is one of the lowest forms of human life. The only ones that think its ok are the ones who do it and can't come up with their own ideas so they steal others time and hard work. They are the same lazy bastards that leaned over your shoulder in school and copied your school work. They make theirselves feel better by saying others do it or its done all the time. Others rape and steal so that must be ok because others do that too. Patents are a waste of time as mentioned above. If I can't come up with something of my own , I go to work for the guy that did. Integrity is very rare. Nothing new.
    There have been low lifes since the beginning of time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    zzford, 6inarow and Pats55 like this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad recieved a patent for ride off Harleys in 1960. I've still got it pretty cool, all the research, lawyer papers, and a #. No patent pending. HD didn't like and never made any either.

deathrowdave likes this.
  24. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Been in the hobby for 40 years because there is integrity among this community

Shutter Speed, XXL__ and deathrowdave like this.
  25. earlymopar

earlymopar

Done a long time ago! You guys surely remember the vacuum-tube transfers at department store cashier counters to their accounting departments? This was done if you used a personal check and or when you needed change for a larger bill. I'm not clear how long ago this started but know there was one in my small hometown Penny's store in the early 60s.

- EM

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, I remember them...my small town bank has this at their drive up. Drive up has been inop for 2 months now. 'Vacuum problem'.

IT SUCKS!!! (or it doesn't?)

Jim Bouchard and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Pat, I see other Hambers have a little blurb at the bottom of their posts about their products or services, maybe you should look into doing this.

fauj likes this.
  28. touring20

touring20

Swing away mailbox needs a flail mace on the other end . (That will leave a mark !)

29. I have a friend that came up with the idea and built the windshield wipers that come on when it detects moisture. Ford contacted him and had him come to ford for a few months to show how it worked, sent him on his way with a "we'll let you know". Next thing you know Ford has a brand new feature of automatic wipers, while all my friend got was food and housing for those couple months.

30. Hey Pats55, how long have you been selling this ?