Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

How come everyone has their Hot Rod magazine but me? Still not in my mailbox.:(

2. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nor mine. I'm anxious to see the article.

3. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Well, It showed up today. Guess what page the article starts on? That's right Page 32. Coincidence? I think not! If you look real close you can see a tiny picture of the Sedan on the cover. I guess that counts as a cover car. hahaha!
    I am pleased to say Thom Taylor wrote a great article. I may be partial, but if you have been following this thread, you need to have this magazine.

As I've said many times before, THANKS to ALL of you who helped either in person, with parts, with witty posts:D and most of all friendship.

I had lunch with billsill45 today and I was saying how everyone I have met in person through the HAMB are all class guys that I'm happy to hang out with. I owe all of you a huge debt of gratitude and hope I can return the favor some day.

Most of all, thanks Pete. This wouldn't have happened without you!

4. Rick it goes back to our roots. Remember a time long ago when I had hair and you could fit into a size 32 pants?? All you had to do was say you needed help and poof you had 3-4-5 guys at your door. Much like when you said you needed help with the sanding.
    It has been my pleasure my friend
    Fuzzy

5. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Rick, I have followed this thread from the start, and am happy to have been able to help a little. I do remember when we wired your coupe. That was back in the day when we were both a bit younger and when friends helped each other build their cars. This build would have been fun to participate in but for the distance, so I had to just be a spectator. Hot Rods, like life, are more fun when shared.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This is what the checkbook guys who "commission" a car build miss: Getting into it up to your elbows, having friends old and new pitch in to help where and when ever needed, improving your knowledge and skills by necessity and learning your car inside out. The best part of all is the satisfaction of being able to honestly say "I built my car and my friends helped me do it."

A job well done by the E & B crew. The Hot Rod feature story is "so bitchin".

7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i know Baskerville would have the cedan,Rick,&Pete on youtube by now. what are the chances of that happening? sure would like to see it...........

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just finished reading the article in Hot Rod. It was good, but not as good as reading this thread.

9. river1

river1

You obviously haven't met JEEM yet. :)

later jim

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jim-
    You've got to remember that JEEM is an artist. Class is at a different level for him!:D

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

We've determined that they have an entirely different set of physics, too! 'Specially JEEM!:D

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

13. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Rick: Congrats to You and Pete on a great project, What is the next one?

14. Well said!! Everyone I met that was associated with this car, either with the first or second incarnation, has been great. I got to meet some guys that I knew about but had never had the opportunity to meet, and that has been the best part of this project. A big thanks to Rick for making HIS dream OUR dream as well, and making us all feel like one big team.

I have to admit, that I was a bit disappointed when I initially found out that the car was NOT owned by Clint Eastwood and Burt Bacharach. I was hoping to get a couple of autographs and maybe a catchy jingle......:D

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Two of my favorite guys!

The Good, The Bad and the Tijuana Taxi

16. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

This. I gotta buy you a round sometime.

17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Now that I won't by running at the drags anytime soon, I've decided to take the shoulder harness and crotch strap out of the Sedan. It will be much more comfortable without them. I can put them up in the rafters with the slicks until their needed. Unless you've driven with them on in traffic, you have no idea how uncomfortable they are and how much they impair your vision by not allowing you to pivot your shoulders.

I guess I'm removing the safety devices for safety's sake!

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

19. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Rick, that was a great read in hot rod. Awesome pictures too. Congratulations! Sam

20. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Sam-
    Thanks and congratulations on your sedan build also! Love the color.:D
    I'm still waiting for you and Tanner to drive down here in your Hot Rods.

Everyone should check out his build thread and see what the real youth of America are doing. We are in good hands.
    Rick

21. Nice article Rick - read it last night. I especially like the note about Pete crashing the Roadster, and how no one was surprised :)

22. I Rick, just received my Hot Rod in the mail today, congratulations on the great coverage.
    One of the best build threads on the HAMB this year.
    It's taken me back to my builds so many times, and the memories are priceless.
    Glad I could contribute a little.
    Keith.

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

hotroddon-
    He's a much better driver now!

Keith-
    Your "small" contribution is what helped us restore the Sedan to the way it was. That SCTA decal was one of the things that made it correct instead of using a sticker. Plus it was a great way to have you stop by our spot at LARS and visit.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

24. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Like the write up in Hot Rod this month! Great photo of Tom, you, Eric and Pete.
    Looks like a Pasadena reunion. The car looks great! Good job and thanks!!

25. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Rick; Yor sedan was a Big influence of the way I built my Model A pickup years ago,now it influenced the way my son(Sam) built his sedan, when we both drove them to Bonneville this year, it was pretty Cool !! THANKS for the inspiration !!! Chris

26. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Been there, done that! I took the 5 point harness out of my Willys so I could ride in comfort & lean forward to see out of the side windows!
    Lap belts are much more drive friendly on the street.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hear ya too! I think it was this thread a couple of pages back where I described getting in an accident with the top belts of my Simpson four points unbuckled in one of my bugs, and not only took out the windshield with my nose, (lap belts on) which was bad enough, but got knocked out and chunk of meat out of the back of my head from the loose upper belt's fasteners hitting me in the back of the head! I learned that day, if you not gonna use them, don't keep them in the car. Sounds contrary to safety, but trust me on this one...

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chris-
    Thanks! I hope you guys enjoy your sedans as much as I am mine.

I drove the Sedan down to the Outriders picnic yesterday with only the lap belts. Way more comfortable and enjoyable!

The event is without a doubt the best organized event I have EVER been to. Imagine feeding over a thousand people tri tip and only having people wait in line about 15 minutes. Incredible and delicious. I hope I get to go to next year's also. I'm not sure if anyone posts about the event, but if they do, check it out.

I ran into a few of the HAMB guys there and had a great time visiting and telling stories. Isn't that what it's all about, seeing old friends and making new ones.

29. Yes the Outriders picnic is one of the best I have ever been to. Hope to go next year!!