Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. This whole time you guys have been talking gear ratios and such, I've been thinking how I really like the 2.79's that I have in my '40 coupe, although it's an 8". I'll never beat anyone off the line, but she loves to run out around 75mph or so.

2. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Rick,

I'm ready for another change, but let's get the oil fill hole installed in advance. Filling through the axle tube is about as inconvenient as it gets.

The gauntlet is thrown. Judging by what we did last time, I see a gear change in under an hour from drive in to drive out if we only change a couple of procedures. Like pull the axles all the way out before pulling the pumpkin. Maybe put in a new stud, too.

3. Ha, in the "belly" picture I was laughing to myself at what appears to be only one axle pulled out...lol

4. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This thread is beginning to read like a variation of the joke about The Juilliard School music students:

Q: How many Juilliard students does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Five ... 1 to change the bulb and 4 to make snarky comments about they could have done it with better technique !!

5. Thats not funny!!!:eek:
    A few years ago I was getting ready for the drags and was setting up to change gears. Pulled the wheels, pulled the disk brakes, unbolted the axles, took all the nuts off the 3rd member and tried to pull it out - Fucker would not come out!!!! fought with it for 20 minutes. Got out from under the car, stood there scratching my head and noticed that I had not pulled the axles!!!!!!!!!!
    Went in the house, got me a cold beverage and watched some TV.
    Came back out in an hour or so and guess what??? The 3rd member comes right out if you pull the axles!!!!!:eek:

6. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

I actually pulled the axles out, but there was not a lot of room to get around the car in the shop. Instead of taking them out and standing them on the floor, I decided to just pull them out about 5 inches to clear the case. Well, one side was 4.7 inches, so while we were under there wrestling, I decided to try pulling it out a little more, and away we went. Although I know how they go together, this was my first Ford 9 inch pumpkin change. Bound to be easier the second time.

7. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

That picture was taken after the change, we are putting the drive shaft back in. One axle is out all the way because the pumpkin didn't have a fill hole and the passenger side axle housing got elected for the duty.

8. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

This is hot rods imitating life.
    Sometimes your the bat, sometimes your the pinata!
    I just love the fact that I'm not the one making all the mistakes:D
    I will admit, I do make plenty.

9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Those aren't mistakes, they are just the learning curve!

10. JReece

JReece

This is Extremely Cool!

11. fbberotic

fbberotic
    from Chile

very very cool indeed !

12. jalopy45

jalopy45

Rick, have you considered bringing the car up to the Hot August Nights in Reno?

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

jalopy45-
    When is it?

I got an email from Thom Taylor saying Hot Rod is interested in doing a feature on the Sedan again. He wants me to run it at the drags also. I'm not sure how serious I should be on running it. Gear change, slicks and rims, additional fuel pump, seat belts or shoulder harness etc. I know after one or two runs they are going to ask for a trans and motor diaper among other things we never had to deal with in the past. I'm not quite sure it is worth all the work and hassle. What do you guys think?

14. SimonSez

SimonSez

I think you're asking the wrong crowd if you expect any answer apart from Hell Yeah! ;)

15. It sure needs to be featured in Hot Rod and Thom's the right man to write the article so as SimonSez says - "HELL YEAH!"

16. jalopy45

jalopy45

17. HOT ROD MAGAZINE........way cool!
    DRAGS....ya why not? The full circle.

18. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I went to visit the guy that tuned the Sedan originally. His name is Dave Lange. He said he would give it a "once over". One more thing off the list to prepare for the drags. Tires are next.

19. Rick I run 10 inch wide 28 inch tall Wrinkle walls ( M/T) It cut my 0-60 foot times down from 2.60 sec to 1.65 running 10 lbs of air. 4.62 gears

20. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Simple, take the E&B sedan to irwindale. Do a nice burnout, launch hard and call it a day. But make sure the E&B staff photographers are there to take many photos! OR take the car to sierra madre blvd and make a good-old-pasadena pass!! Again making sure the E&B staff photographers are there.

21. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Tio Geo-
    Great idea. The days of street racing are way behind me but only because of the new laws.

I was looking at some threads on the HAMB for different car events to take the Sedan to and I am amazed that spectators get in free but the people who bring their cars to make the event happen are charged. Am I missing something? I have always shared my cars with people (mostly my horseless carriage cars) i.e. parades, school events and community events for free. The Hot Rod Magazine show got it right. The cars were free with 2 passes and the spectators paid. Isn't that the way it should be? The L.A. Roadster Show has it right also. Roadster and driver are free. Passengers pay. They seem to understand who makes the show happen.

22. PHOTOGRAPHS.....just give me a days notice, me & the staff will be there!

23. We have a similar problem here which I put down to the economy and the size of the country. I have always thought if we the car guys supply the show with our cars then we should be free.....

24. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I just pulled up the web site for Hot August Nights 2013 in Reno. It will cost you $170.00 if you want to participate with your car. I guess they didn't get the memo on how these other shows operate.....

25. Man, that's a lot of money! The bad part about "street" shows like Hot August Nights and Route 66 is that you pay a bunch of money and then your car is on display for every drunk pedestrian, homeless bum, and unwatched child to climb all over it when you're not looking. No thanks.

To me, the car owners should always get in free, unless the entry fees are going to charity.

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I would rather drive the Sedan with my friends in their Hot Rods to a food joint and spend $170.00 buying dinner for them. In fact I would rather buy dinner for a stranger driving their Hot Rod then pay $170.00 for people to look at my car that just don't get it. Those of you that know me, know I don't mind picking up a check.

Greg- I guess I won't be going to New Zealand any time soon. Let me know when the economy gets better.:)

27. Rick,
    Its not too bad really - its like most things in life deal with what you have got and keep an eye out for ways to get ahead in a tough economy. Still plenty of cars being built or imported. Ask Dennis & Debbie Kyle about their trip to NZ recently - they had a ball.
    As for the events, we try to offer maximum value for the car guy, funded by sponsorship but remember to give the sponsor value and then charge the spectator. Not all events are that way but there are a few like that and I like to do it that way when i organise or and involved with the organisation of an event.
    Greg

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I totally vote (not that it is a vote) for making a pass or two, but I would NOT update it. Not for the sake of accuracy, for the sake of keeping it pure. I think you have the "proper" mentality, just enjoy it with your buddies and screw everything else. Life is too hard, these old cars are for escaping....phukk rule books.

29. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

^^ Best reply yet :cool:

30. 5w32

5w32

i agree 100%