Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Pete's car looks awesome - can't wait to see it at Andys!

2. And here I thought the grip on my lift was somewhat unique.:)

Any in progress pictures of paint prep work on the frame?

Attached Files:

• lift.JPG
      lift.JPG
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
  3. grandet23

grandet23

i think we need someone to start a thread showing Pete's sedan....

Anyone????

4. YEP!
    And more of Petes stuff full stop!

5. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Those of you who know Pete, know that will never happen. He wasn't thrilled when I started this thread.

I'll have photos on Tuesday of the chassis. I'll be in Tucson on Sunday and Monday moving my daughter out and back home. Any car events on Sunday night in Tucson?

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

RICH B-
    Nice handle. Being that it is metal flake, must be "late Model":D

I got back from Tucson late last night and it ended up being a great "field trip".

Terry Finch was going to shoot the chassis for me but timing isn't going to work out.
    So....I went by Finishmaster in Tucson and bought some single stage acrylic enamel that I can shoot myself. I have never shot base coat clear-coat and don't want to learn(experiment) on the chassis.

I even bought some lacquer thinner for some black acrylic lacquer paint I have.
    For those non SoCal people, we can't even buy simple paint thinner here. Boy are we screwed up. This is just another reason I love Arizona.

Don't get me started on car registration. Okay, here it is.
    Buy a car in Colorado.
    Option 1 Transfer and register it in California. Cost $800.00
    Option 2 Transfer and register it in Arizona. Cost $19.50

Gee, what should I do? I'll get off my soap box now.

Attached Files:

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Rick, your welcome in Arizona anytime! Seems all you L.A. guy are defecting to here these days.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Only they're getting it right by either moving to Prescott or Tucson!

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I'm sure many of you are old school painters and like myself, are not familiar with the new paint guns. Going on the internet was just to much info for me.

I called John Carambia for the scoop on paint guns. He painted the Mondello and Matsubara Fiat and The Old Master among others cars. If you have seen either of these cars, you know he has plenty of paint knowledge.

His recommendation and what he uses is a Binks M1G HVLP with a 1.4 fluid tip for paint and a 1.7 or 1.9 for primer. I'm ordering that gun today.

He gave me some tips on prep and paint that I will pass along as I get to that point.

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I ordered the spray gun today. I just love the internet! I can buy this gun cheaper in Georgia with the shipping then I can here. In San Diego I can buy it for $423.80 plus tax and shipping. The same gun from Georgia is $280.00 delivered and no tax. Same model number and both are brand new in the box.

That's what I call Southern Comfort!:D

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Careful, Gov. Brown may be watching....

12. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

El Caballo-
    A man who lives in Australia and knows who Governor Brown is has too much free time to read about the world and should be working on his car more!:D
    Rick

13. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Rick,
    I just PM you time permiting give me a shout.

14. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

The gauges showed up today. Now they can be mounted in the dash tunnel and I can cross one more item off my list. As we did originally, only a tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges are being used. Like everything we did, think minimalist.

Attached Files:

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Rick.Outstanding build going on there.Always love it when an oldie is saved OR a former great is recreated.Especially by the original builders.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe
    Leo

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  16. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Leo-
    Thanks for the encouragement! As I've mentioned many times before, it is hard to keep the momentum going sometimes. Waiting for my spray gun is killing me. I want to prime, block and paint the frame so we can start the assembly. Then we will feel like progress is really being made.
    Rick

17. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Rick, I bought a magazine yesterday for $2, what a deal... Question who is the kid with the dark hair and mustache ??

Attached Files:

18. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jack-
    2 bucks? That's no way to waste your retirement money.

In case you didn't know, I dye my hair grey because I was tired of looking so young.:D

You have to love the fashion statement with the t-shirt I was wearing.
    Bring the magazine out next father's day and Pete and I will sign it for you. HAHAHA!
    Rick

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Rick.As I mentioned earlier,I love what you and Pete are doing.MY dream car would have to be having a car like my Father used to have.
    A `29 model A rumble seat roadster.I got to drive it ONE time.What a blast.It was ALL original.He sold it back in 1964.God I miss that car.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I'm assuming that was shot on Mulholland, Laurel Canyon? We almost died in a mini truck up there, that would'a sucked horrible to check out like that.

21. 5w32

5w32

ha! at least you still have hair!

22. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, except I'm American and know who he is, the Moonbeam. Regrettably my car is in Texas whilst I am here. Oh well. :cool:

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jeem-
    That photo was taken on a construction site on Wilshire Blvd. not to far from where Hot Rod's offices were located.

Jack-
    Seems like Steve must know you! :D

El Caballo-
    I hope you get back to the U.S. soon and get to enjoy your car. Hopefully when that happens the stars will align and Brown will be out of office!

24. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

..5w32, How did you know what I look like with hat off....

25. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jack-
    The cat is out of the bag or......... the hat is off the head.

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Christmas in July. I must admit I was a little leery of buying the spray gun on the internet.
    The price was the best by far on Ebay. I am not disappointed. In the original Binks box and with all the goodies.
    The reference to Christmas has to do with getting a gift that you can't use right away. I am off to Boston for the week visiting family and looking at schools. Not all bad but I'm anxious to start spraying!

Attached Files:

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I'm Back from the East. Now I know why guys live back there. Absolutely beautiful!

I did see one '32 sedan in Lincoln, Rhode Island. It was green and looked to be a very nice car. Couldn't catch it and get a better look though. I was on my way to Burger Boy. Great food by the way. If you live in the area, it is worth trying.

I will be back to work on the Sedan now and should accomplish something every day. I know, about time. I agree.
    I also need to hurry up and finish the Sedan before my daughter starts Law School as I think she has picked Boston College. Those of you with kids in college and grad school know what I'm talking about. We could probably build a car every year for the money we waste:D, I mean pay in tuition. That last sentence was the car guy coming out in me.

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Just spent the day painting the roll bar and headers. I did it with rattle cans like we did before. My finger sure is tired! I should have cheated and used the spray gun. It would have been much quicker.

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Has he checked it out? or even get on the H.A.M.B.