Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eastern Oregon Desert Devil

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by esfoder, Jun 19, 2009.

1. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Well I'm finally going to get started on my car about 3 months later than I wanted but it'll have to do. Getting the Model A front axle about killed me. I'll post some pic's tonight or tomorrow.

Baisic combo is
    308 Hudson engine I'll fab up an intake and headers for her. Cam it up a bit for some good viberations
    Power glide
    RX-7 rear end
    Hand fabbed frame and cage to fit my big ass 6'8" and around 250 pounds. So much for lite weight.

Well here we go

Dusty

2. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Good luck on the build, and welcome to the group.

Ron

3. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Woooo Hoooo! A Hudson!

Best of luck to you, I'll be keeping an eye out for your build updates.

4. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Just some pre build parts shots. A couple of greasy Hudson motor shots and a couple of front axle pics. The good news is the 50% of the front wheels spin. Bad news is it has two different size wheels on her. Thats ok I'll find more.

More to come.

Dusty

P.S. Does the old V-8 size wheel have the strength for these kinds of cars? I have access to some if they will.

Attached Files:

• 144.jpg
      144.jpg
      File size:
      505.9 KB
      Views:
    • 153.jpg
      153.jpg
      File size:
      524.8 KB
      Views:
    • 147.jpg
      147.jpg
      File size:
      534.1 KB
      Views:
    • 148.jpg
      148.jpg
      File size:
      510.4 KB
      Views:
    • 150.jpg
      150.jpg
      File size:
      512.5 KB
      Views:

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks like a good start Dusty. Keep throwing parts at it.

Love those big square ports, that thing should breathe pretty good.

6. 348chevy

348chevy

Hudsons weren't the terror of NASCAR in the 50's because they couldn't breath. I think if one of these get running with some good compression and intake they will be a real flatliner Supermotor. :D Roy

7. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Well upon further thought I'm going to run the origional hydro for starters.
    Then switch to a glide or a 4 speed muncie. I just want to get this ol girl on the road as cheapley as possible to start. The good news is it's cheap the bad news is it weights about 300 pounds more than a big cow.

Also a pic of the 232 hudson head I'll be using to start with. Higher comp ratio. With a little deck milling I should be able to get 8.75 or better with it. 9 to one would be nice.

Later gents

Dusty

Attached Files:

8. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Don't forget those hardened valve seats for that modern pump gas, and welcome to the obsession. That hudson should be a real torker. Joe

9. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Dang, a Hudson and a Hydro?

Keeping an eye on this evolving situation. Gotta love those big ports, all 12 of them.

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wow, that thing looks to be right up there with actual period 'Glides; 300 lbs of cast iron and half an inch between the converter halves. :eek:

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Give B&M a call, they used to build some killer Hydros back in the '60s.:D

12. silvertonguedevil

silvertonguedevil
    from Vale, OR

Hey Dusty, where are you in Eastern Oregon? I grew up there.

13. Hemibaker

Hemibaker

Old6rodder are you not going to make a statment about the RX 7 rear end is not older than 1962 and it will make is car a SDRA car and not a HAMB?

gald to see you building a Hudson. I know Hudsonator will be keeping an eye on your build.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Nope. :D

Thanks Hemibaker, I know you guys're bright enough to be pulling my leg fair and square, but others may see this and take it seriously yet again, so yet again gentlemen, the explanation. :cool:

As has been said ad nauseum, gears is gears. If something is a reasonable technological representation of what was run in '50 (such as a ring, pinion & spiders) then that's the whole idea. The '62 cut-off pertains to engines and is an application adjustable rule of thumb.

( Although, to avoid a "spirit violation" Dusty, you could label it a "post war foreign replacement part". :p
    Don't have to specify which war do ya? :D )

Slush pumps are a different thing gentlemen, pertaining to preferred styles of racing, and both styles are well represented.

15. Hemibaker

Hemibaker

nice, politically correct statement,and I agree.Not that it matters.:eek:

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Politically correct? Oh, the shame .......... :eek:

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

There goes your hard earned image.:eek:

18. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Just got the hs-8s today. Also my wheels I are to use. 19 in front 16 in the rear. I'm thinking the carbs are missing a linkage on both carbs? Will have to look into it. There has to be something connecting the main shaft to the acc pump? Any way still gettin stuff for her..

Dusty

Made some progress tonight. Got the passanger side drum off. About a 3 hour deal.Rusted all together.The spindle looks good though? Kinda cool using some of my Grandads 70 year old tools on a 77 year old axle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

SUs don't have an acc pump. The linkage on the side are the enrichment levers, (read as choke) and don't hook to the throttle. They just slide the jet down to let more fuel in for cold starting.

Google SU carbs, lots of info out there.......parts too.:p

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Yep, SUs work by sucking gas up through a tube and limiting the flow with a tapered needle. The slide & needle are raised and lowered by intake vacuum which is metered by the butterfly valve. More vacuum, more opening of the slide/needle combo. Slide allowing more air in and needle allowing more gas in. The taper of the needle is what controls the mixture balance.

Choking (called "enrichment") is done by various ways of lowering the tube around the needle (except in the HIF model), thus adding gas without adding any more air. Result; richer mixture.

A good general reference book is the Haynes "SU Carburetors" "Owner's Workshop Manual" #299. Much better than Haynes usually manages, it has good overviews, good descriptions and even a decent basic theory intro. I found one on e-bay but they should be around generally.

There are better and more detailed tomes of course but none that start out as well for someone new to SUs.

21. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Thanks I'm all over it

22. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Alittle more progress. Got the driver side drum and backing plate off. Only about a 20 min job. On to the spring and mounts.

Dusty

Attached Files:

23. Big Hudson 6 with a 4 speed slant-pan hydro [came stock that way] in a light hotrod should be a total blast to drive!
    I also am a transplanted central oregonian....graduated high school from Redmond in '66..

24. bobw

bobw

Your engine look quite clean inside. What is it's history? I sure like your ports!

25. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

It was in a parts car (53 Hornet) that was all crashed up on the driver side. The interior is some of the best I have seen in an old unrestored car.
    It has the twin H setup on it along with the dual range hydro that I'll be using in my little race car. The old guy in his 90s (he was very spry to say the least)said the engine and tranny had 40,000 miles on them when he got hit. So I figure why not use them in this deal. I'll cam her up and do some grinding along with a 232 head to make some more power. Maybe I'll get more serious with it after the car is all done. I've made my self not mess with the engine till after the car is finnished. Bad habbit I have then lose interist after the fun stuff is done.

Well all for today got my ass kicked by a broken chain at work today.
    Just hit me in the leg. At least it missed my nuts?

Dusty

P.S. Bob I enjoyed your build thread alot. I'll be using some of your ideas on my rig...

26. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Wow time flies. Still gathering parts. I came across a couple more cars so i might have enough junk to get going on something ? Funny thing i thought when my boys got older i would have more time to work on my hobbies. Negative on that . Good news is now i have one that is into cars and motorcycles. He will give me a hand but then he will want to drive too. Ever hear of a 8 year old driving dragsters?

Dusty

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sounds like time to build a HA/GR style Jr. Dragster. I'm sure that there could be interest in the class. Front engined cars with mini-bike engines. Hell, it might even be fun to build one for myself. People race lawn tractors and riding mowers, why not? :D

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Hahahahaa!

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

HMMM, HA/GR JR DRAGSTERS :rolleyes:

30. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Well I'm back. I'm getting antsy to get going on something. I picked up an Edmonds two 2 barrel intake the other day. Great shape but not great price. Also got an Clifford head. I'm going to get started on the chassis in mid March. I'll have to dig my frame rails out of the corner of the shop. I only started this thing in 09 I think. Jeeze time flys.