Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earned my Alliance Tag - 56 Packard is road worthy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brainfrz, Dec 30, 2006.

1. brainfrz

brainfrz

After completely rebuilding my auto transmission. Hopping up the oil pump to a new high volume Old version and generally replacing some fuses and such. The 56 Packard is road worthy. Drove over to the DMV to get registered. At the same time had them send a copy of my 1956 Yellow Cali plates to the head office for the "Year of Manufacture" stamp of approval. Been running the car up and down the long major street that runs by my house to check for leaks (Fuel tank, tranny pan, oil pan) and also check for gauge and electrical issues. The tranny seems to be running fine in both settings a hugh deal for me since this was the first auto tranny I rebuilt and this is not a standard run of the mill tranny either. Thanks to the HAMB for the inspiration. More updates to follow as I go through and continue to work out the bugs. It sat for 40 years. The last pic is of the tranny after I took off the pan!

Thanks again and hope to have this thing ready for daily drivership soon.

Jon

Attached Files:

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

3. 46mopar

46mopar

The two things people tell me about these Packards is good luck with the trans and beware of the power brakes. Very cool ride I can't wait to get my 55 home and tear into it.

4. brainfrz

brainfrz

With the original tranny manual and some helpful Packard owners, it was not that hard. The hardest part was finding Time to do the rebuild. Most of the time I just cleaned and rebuilt one section at a time. And took lots of digital pics to remind the memory of how things looked before I took them a part. Fun times ahead!

Thanks George, I'll drive by one of the these days soon.

Jon

5. Damm Jon, good work, can't wait to see it!!

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

arent digi cams the best???lookin great man!!!!your goin ta know more about that car then anyone in the world!!!!good feelin !!!!:cool:

7. brainfrz

brainfrz

Unfortunately Breeder, your right. I'm going to have to find out as much as I can because the oldtimers don't take pictures and no one younger than 55 wants to take the time on a Packard since Ford and Chevy made a couple 100,000 of their 1956 cars. :)

thanks Dave. It'll be around soon enough.
    Jon

8. Tony Daytona

Tony Daytona

I know of a 53 Clipper for sale by owner about 10 minutes from my house, he's asking $3900 but I think cold hard cash could change his mind. Runs, drives, well...Didnt know if you're looking for a parts car, but those Packards are hard to find.

9. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

if you ever want a cup of coffee and a cheap cigar (or smell one :rolleyes: )
    just drop in any ol' time.
    you know where i am? :confused: