Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Top Loader Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A BONED, Jun 5, 2018.

1. A BONED

A BONED

Hey fellas,
    I've heard that you can make an early 32-34 3 speed top-loader box shift a hell of a lot better by gutting out the early case and fitting in later 40-48 side shift gears etc. To make this work though you also need a 7222 top shift tower with the wider folks?

I have a 1932 and a 1934 top-loader and would like to make it shift better. Can someone with first hand knowledge give me some feedback? Thanks in advance.

Gomez

2. "Hell
    "Hell of a lot better" is rather vague. If I had a running car with a good '32-'34 transmission that I intended to use for normal street driving I would just keep the early gears. My AVATAR was originally a stock Model B and when I upgraded it to a Mercruiser I used the later gears. You might see if you can find someone that has a car with the later gears and drive it. If it is in a '32 the later tower will require you make a simple bracket for the emergency brake.

Charlie Stephens