Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Stewart Warner Wings speedo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firerod, Jul 10, 2013.

1. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

I have a late 40's Stewart Warner Wings speedo. The part where the cable hooks up has no threads just a grooved end. Any idea what I need for this and where I can find one?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Probably going to need to go visual on this one.

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

SW made adapters for those speedos, one is straight and one is a 90. You need the straight adapter. It will have female threads on it and you'll need a male cable, a cable from a '40 Ford would fit that.

I also would like to see a pic if you have one.

4. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Here is a picture of my speedometer.

Attached Files:

5. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are missing a collar that has the female threads in the far end, and a sideways clamping screw in the near end. As said before, they come straight or a 90 degree angle, and either will fit your speedo. The clamping screw rides in that groove, allowing you to turn the 90 degree elbow in any direction.

These collars were on most all SW speedos and tachs that were made for industrial and hot rod applications up to the early 60's or so. Instruments built for production cars didn't need to be as versatile, so their collars were integral with the casting that holds all the guts.

6. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

There is a speed-o-meter shop in Denver, Colorado.....Deluxe Speed-o-meter. They have a website. Contact them. they should have the part or can get it for you.

"Wasn't anybody there, except me and Little Skeet."

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm not sure if this is the same guy Little Skeet is talking about, but here's an answer to a similar post that I gave a couple of years ago.

"I had a similar problem with my late 40's Stewart Warner Wings speedo. I'm running a modern speedo now, so I've got a modern hook-up on both ends. I also did not want to have to swap out my modern speedo cable, because I'd have to disassemble half of my car to replace it. I contacted Rusty (e1956v) at Speedometer Service in Colorado Springs, CO & he could not have been more helpful. He suggested that he make a 6" adapter cable that would mate to my old Wings speedo & the modern cable end. He made the piece & I received it in a very short period of time. And, IT WORKS! To top it all off, he told me not to send any $$ until I got the piece & was satisfied!! Plus, the price was very reasonable. Is this a breath of fresh air or what?"

8. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

This is what you need........

Attached Files:

9. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Thanks for the info. and pictures. Now if I can just find one. I checked the two Colorado shops and they had none.

10. I need one too!