Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early Shell Gas Station - Long Beach, Ca

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod40coupe, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Found these photos of the ex-wifes grandfather in his Shell Gas Station. Circa 1930 or earlier. Thought you might enjoy them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, that's a cool looking old Shell station. I love Shell oil stuff.

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

4. wow, lots of cool details, i like the look with cap and bow-tie! wonderful!

5. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Thanks. I love old gas stations!!!

6. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Sweet pictures, thanks for sharing.

7. Very cool pics, im a real fan of garages etc from yesteryear, they just seem to have more style than the same old same old we have today.

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Awesome pics! Thanks!

9. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

Great looking station. The old stations sure had alot of style! Thanks for the pictures.

10. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Looking at the size of the gas pump bases, I wonder if that is where the gas was stored instead of under ground?

11. scrubba

scrubba

Rodger, to answer the question, uh no on the pump storing gasoline . The pumps were Boyd Dayton's manufactured in Los Angles . They were eventually bought by Wayne Pump and Tank company who years later became Dresser -Wayne corporation.

Usually, stations built in that time period would generally have had 500 gallon tanks . Some even had 800 gallon tanks . If you have any further questions , hey P- M me , I'm happy to help out ! scrubba

12. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Love those early gas stations. Cool pics. Thanks for posting.

13. SlamIam

SlamIam

Love the light globes on every corner of the roof. Must have been a great time in this country when commercial and industrial buildings had this kind of attention to design and detail.

14. Nice pic. Do you know where about in LB it was?

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

very cool to see.Interesting how customer service has changed over the years,now there is some person behind the counter who couldnt care less about the customer,and by all accounts has no idea where they are or what they are doing and then the gas companies raping everyone when they see fit....bring back the old days please!

16. r2c1

r2c1

My wife owns a Shell station in Glastonbury, CT. She will love that picture.

17. seatex

seatex

Wow, I just picked up an old outdoor porcelain lamp with that weird angle and oblong shade..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Very cool pics, thanks for posting!

18. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

Too cool. makes you wanna go back in time and cruise by!

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

There was that very model of station ( minus the appron ) still standing on Anaheim Street, here in Long Beach, up till 'bout fifteen years ago, it's now a car wash. What is really incredible is that it survived the 1933 earthquake, given most of the brick buildings in the area didn't !:eek:

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

20. It's funny how I really don't like going to the gas station but I sure love the pics of the old ones.
    Maybe if they did something cool like an old style station it wouldn't be so annoying to go to.

Thanks for posting the pics

21. seatex

seatex

Boy, you can say that again!!!!

22. BINGO!!! We have a winner!!! I have a pump exactly like those ... a 1912 Boyles-Dayton pre-visible.

Roger Walling , to add to scrubba's comments the round base is counter-balanced (note the two chrome vertical pipes) and is risen up to enclose the pump mechanism and locked for night security.

OP .... considering the age of the pumps I would bet this station is early twenties .... the visible pumps came out in the early twenties and Shell would have changed over to them about that time. I have only seen one other picture of previsibles in action ... pretty rare photo.

23. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Cool looking station. I recall in the 60's at a Ford dealership my dad worked at that one of the service writers always wore a bow tie. All the others had regular ties. Even in the 60's it looked old school.