Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early late flathead generator ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulie_boy13, Dec 27, 2010.

1. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Can you use an early flathead generator on an 8ba? Will the pulleys line up? I want to get a Tardel generator cover but they won't work on a late style generator. I run narrow belts on my 8ba.

Thanks

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Have you tried drilling a new mounting pin hole in the case of the early gen so as to reposition it? Also ask your question on : www.fordbarn.com I bet there's a way to make it work.

3. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking more about the entire unit not just slipping the early unit into a later strap style mount. I want to eliminate the strap mount actually so i can use a gennie cover.

4. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

First, the early Flatheads didn't have the distributor to contend with so water pumps & crank shaft pulleys are much closer to block. Next you could have a pulley made to fit the early gen to take the 3/8 belt & locate it further forward to line up with the 8BA pulleys. Next the width of the upright bracket that fits the front of the intake is wider than the 8BA bracket, this would have to be milled narrower on both outside edges to fit. Question why not go with a chrome cover for the 8BA gen and use a chrome band to hold it to the bracket? Better yet, why not just go with a chrome gen and have the stand & band chromed? Just a few thoughts.

5. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Ancient rodder, thank you!! That's EXACTLY what I needed to know. I liked the finned option for the early units. Seems like a lot of work (which isn't a bad thing) just means I would need a good game plan and your advice gave me stuff to think about. Thanks again!