Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hurst history - trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Dec 13, 2009.

1. pastlane

pastlane

Here's a few of the originals I have.

Attached Files:

2. pastlane

pastlane

A few more.

Attached Files:

3. Click on this link for info on that 4WD 442, quite a story.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2491074-68-442-front-wheel-drive.html

Peace,,,Moosie :)

4. titus

titus

Lots of neat history on this post.

Did hurst ever offer a hanging brake pedal assembly along the lines of the ansen padal set up for chev truck dual master?

JEFF

5. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Some years ago I got to rummage around the attic of one of NJ oldest speed shops and found a bunch of old P & G shifters from the 60's. These shifters were unique in that they eliminated all side to side motion converting it to an inline shifter with a seperate reverse lock-out lever that you pullled up. I remember they were really high qulaity units and the boxes were even neat, they folded open into a display. I also found an old fuel car drag race mask - it was made out of aluminum painted canvas with some sort of asbestos lining...rectangular eye holes and the P&G logo embroidered into it by where the mouth would be - really neat. I thought I read somewhere that Hurst later bought out P&G.........

6. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

In the display of decals above....the Hurst/wagon one featuring the VW.....

I have the actual hand drawn display for that where the extended arm moves back and forth with the shifter. I have never seen an actual finished display to verify if this display ever saw production or not.

The one I have is a hand done pasted up one maybe 12 inches tall and stands up.

My secretary is off next week so I can get a photo up through Mr AMC Guy for about a week.

Its good to see such a wide response on this thread. Wile the range of topics is wide and peoples likes and dislikes vary greatly I am sure.....Hurst is a common bond that connects many car generations. I was just fortunate enough to grow up in their neighborhood and my wife worked there in 1969.

I remember in the early 1970s....finishing up my 3 year stunt in the Army I bought a 1949 Olds 76 club coupe (rare car looked like a Chevy) (Olds had a 98 & 88, 76 was the cheapest I believe) It was converted to 12 volt, had a 1957 Olds 371 V8 with a 1953-54 hydromatic trans behind it.

I had 1962 T bird bucket seats in it....and had Hurst custom bend me a stick for it in the parking lot at Hurst. Great car trans was one of the hardest shifting transmissions I ever drove only thing close was the GMc Syclone my wife had years ago> ( We owned one of 2 GMC used for all the magazine testing and was cover truck on car & driver).

The Olds was neat thing I hated was the stupid knee action shocks could never keep fluid in them. Like most owners another car I regret selling cheap....

[email protected]

sorry if I wondered from the subject but heck its my thread......

7. Early 70s. White plastic T handle. I had one in my first hotrod and this one is going in my OT 67 Camaro project when I get it finished. How many of these have you ever seen ? I believe they were only made for a very short time.

Attached Files:

8. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I have them in white and black in my personal collection. Did not produce long as they would crack. GM used the metal ones in the GTO Judge and Ford having a different thread pattern used them in certain models around 1969-70 as well.

They made a 3 sped one also....I also have what may be a prototype one that has Hurst logo in white plastic in red and black. Not sure if I posted those photos yet or not. Have to check into that.

So, yes they are rare especially like you show it in the wrapper....

[email protected]

9. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here are some shifters from my private collection. The one features the rare yo yo halves shifter knob which is prior to the ball design. (I doubt Hurst referred to the split halves as a yoyo knob that is my wording for description). This would probably be very early 1960s vintage. The other sticks are aluminum and I have no idea if they were simply samples or ones that never saw production passed the idea stage.

Like most companies not every idea becomes a marketable product. I have never seen any others like these.

[email protected]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dennis,did any of the metal cans that the wheels were shipped in survive???? They came two wheels per can....not a cardboard box... I sold several sets of these wheels also..

11. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Yes cans did survive.....just the other week two were on ebay in fair to poor condition think around $500 or more to start.

I have had several and keep one near mint one in my office...it makes for a very expensive and unique trash can.

I can't say for sure but I am told the can has been reproduced....which I don't doubt since nice originals bring good money. A throw away item....orginally.

The hexagon shape boxes that followed the metal cans are harder to find since they were nothing more than a cardboard box.....I don't even have one.

Bill Campbell still has some I am sure. The man still has the LaSalle he dated his wife in!

So, to answer your question cans have survived....and they are not cheap. Not many spouses will appreciate spending $500 or more for basically an empty can!

[email protected]

More show up in my area since Hurst was in my area than your neck of the woods...

12. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Its ironic....with Hurst, our company also has a shifter made today...a 6-speed for all the C5 and C6 Corvettes....we actually supply Callaway with them, one of our biggest customers. We also have billiard ball shifter knobs made for Corvettes also.

[email protected]

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

What I'd like to see is all the HURST parts made for Studebaker,,,they don't even have pictures in the catalogs

They made a transmission cross member for use with chevy

another for some drive shaft with the U joint in teh middle

Motor mounts to install Caddy motor

Also a shifter to convert a side mount trans to top mount !!

14. Neat info here..

15. Maybe I'll just keep it in the package after all instead of using it. There's one on Ebay right now described as NOS but no package that's up to $275 with 2 hours to go.. :eek: Also 1 Hurst wheel in rough condition, rusty but not bent that's got an opening bid of $950...

16. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Afraid most of what you seek is before my time related to Hurst....however, I have owned a number of Studebakers over the years.....

One of the few that started in the 1800s making wagons first.....

Oldest Studebaker I had was a 1940s business coupe....owned 2 of the 1947 trucks....and one super 1964 Lark ex race car had R3 heads on it...

They made some great cars in their day.....even spoke at the Studebaker National convention and sell products to 2 of the major Studebaker suppliers in the US...

[email protected]

may have wondered from the topic but its my tread......I should be able to post a neat photo tomorrow nite showing the workable display of the Hurst wagon shifter. Kinda neat looking.

17. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Wow I got at least 5 plastic T handles....in my collection. Bidding on a single Hurst wheel is a major risk as they had so many many different designs and two different thickness of the flange area not to mention bolt patterns...same goes for the plastic handle.....

Gonna have to up my insurance in my house....

[email protected]

Leave it in the bubble package....they also came in a pocket protector type of vinyl packaging not sure if it was the plastic or the metal ones that came in those packages....I have them also....

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

All those parts were avail in 67 ,,though the shifter was discontinued in 59

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

It's in " Other Muscle " on the forum

20. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

This old shifter handle hung on the wall of my buddies shop for years...finally he got tired of me looking at it and said "take it already!" ..The shifter is 2 ft long including the 3 speed ball. The story was it came from a custom truck back in the 60's or 70's and Hurst had made it to order...a "one- off". Just wondering if this is possible or if it was a standard catalog item at one time.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    added:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  21. dgmchrome

dgmchrome

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDONM%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDONM%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDONM%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi Dennis,
    I think it was motor mounts that Hurst made prior to the trans business they were known for. If I'm not mistaken wasn't it for putting Caddy or Olds motors in other cars? <o:p></o:p>
    I was in George Hurst&#8217;s house in Huntington Valley. I remember it because it was the only house that had a heated driveway to keep the snow melted.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  22. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

George lived near the June Fete deal....I also grew up in Huntingdon Valley but near the other end near Welsh and Moreland Roads....

We covered the motor mount answer way back in this thread...also did the funky looking bumper guards for VW until they threatened to sue and made their own for the buses and cars.

No one has yet to answer what business Bill Campbell and his buddies bought after leaving Hurst in 1969? It is a very very well known company......any ideas group?

[email protected]

23. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Hurst offered a very wide variety of handles back in the day....to custom make one would have required that individual to know someone pretty high up.

It was very possible to go to the plant in Warminster as even I did it and tried different existing handles or sticks to see what I liked best back in the day.

What else many of you may not realize about 12-15 years ago another company reproduced Hurst shifters....mainly for the Mopar market without Hursts permission...you could tell the different as the word Hurst was not embossed or engraved as pronouced looking as the originals....

I am sure I am not using the proper wording for the process but if you saw one of them against an original you could tell the difference.

[email protected]

Someone has a very old catalog they could paste up a photo showing the various handles.....they did make tall ones for trucks....or delivery vans obviousily they were not huge sellers compared to ones for cars...

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Now that is NICE !! got a better picture of the bottom mounting holes

I myself have never seen a straight Hurst handle that height ,,though I know they did have some truck specific shifter kits

or may be a very early Hydro handle as they were bolt ons

25. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

be interesting to see the very bottom of the stick...can't see it fully in the photo may been cut off? Early ones had a slip in style set up then later ones 2 bolts...or other early style for GTO etc was a one single piece hard to describe but it was part of the mechanism so to speak.

[email protected]

26. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

be interesting to see the very bottom of the stick...can't see it fully in the photo may been cut off? Early ones had a slip in style set up then later ones 2 bolts...or other early style for GTO etc was a one single piece hard to describe but it was part of the mechanism so to speak.

hi...here ya go
    [​IMG]

Most "tall" shifters I have seen for trucks and such had a curve to them like to form to the bench seat ...the fact that this one is 2 ft tall and perfectly straight seems interesting....the worn chrome and "crazing" of the shift ball lead me to think it's a period piece....

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Going back to this.....didn't Hurst accomplish having their "logo" on their shifters in other production cars (IE: Mopars) prior to the GTO?

28. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

You could be correct on this as my knowledge of Mopar is limited, but with GM from what I understand they did not allow Hurst to imprint their name on the visible stick.

I am not 100% sure Chrysler had a contract with Hurst prior to Pontiac doing so with the 1964 GTO which would have had to happen in early 1963....back then most new models came out in the fall prior to the actual year.

Either way, Pontiac paved the way for Hurst being more widely accepted by the big 3 US Car makers.

It just takes one before others hope on board...I know this from getting Mustang and Corvette parts made...once others see your product in a catalog they then come on board.

[email protected]

29. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I happen to have a 1968 Hurst catalog handy....on page 24 the one they show in a delivery style van is straight and is quite long. I am sure that style shifter you got is quite rare as not many deliver van owners were changing out shifters...most where used for business and making money not modifications....

Be like UPS all of sudden installing heated seats in their delivery trucks in the winter climates!!!!Not going to happen....

[email protected]

My guess is that shifter was not offered for many years.

30. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Earlier in one of the posts was a decal featuring the Hurst VW shifter. Here is the actual prototype of a display that Hurst was considering to possibly make available to its dealers. (If they did make this display, I never saw a finished one). This one has a sticker on the back stating this is an original design etc....Not sure how they were going to make the shifter move left to rite it is set up to do so but nothing indicates what the power source would be. Probably a small battery and a switch.

The VW shifter does not appear in the 1968-69 catalog so it probably came out sometime late 1969 or soon thereafter based on the styling of the VW bug.

It measures about 15 inches high by 12 inches wide at the base. All hand done on hard cardboard.

[email protected]

[​IMG]