Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi to Ford Flatty Biscuit Motor Mounts (HURST/knock-off)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Here's something interesting: http://www.mr-gasket.com/AskTechResults.aspx?BrandID=1&ID=29890

Ticket: 29890
    Date: 2/5/2002 12:00:00 AM

Mr. Gasket Knowledgebase Question:
    Dear Sir, I am in the process of doing an engine conversion and am wondering if you still manufacture the mounts I need. The project is a 1940 Ford pickup into which I want to install a 1957 392 cu. in. Chrysler engine. I have picked up a Cragar engine adapter because I want to use the original transmission and enclosed driveline. I have an old Hurst catalog and I think I need these parts: CR-202 #3280 engine mounts 202-EIK #4850 engine insulators AD-75 #3299 anti-chatter adjusters Sp-150 #3312 spacers (for driveline angle) Are these parts still available and are they still listed with these part numbers. You being in the engine coversion business, is there anything else I need to do engine mounting wise. Please reply if you can or cannot help me out. Thank you for your time. Walter Janzen

Solution:
    I'm sorry but we do not have these adapters you could check with transdap and they may be able to help you with this.

2. 73RR

73RR

Hey Jason, if you ever get an answer from the Ford guys send me a PM and I'll take a good hard look at the mount.

Gary

3. Abomination

Abomination

Will do - I'm hoping to find out soon.

Guess it's time to stop being a lurker over at Fordbarn. :D

Additionally, I've been talking to the guy from eBay about these. He may be on the HAMB before long, too. He makes offset carb linkages, etc that I can't wait to see!

~Jason

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Check your other post for your answer. You need more parts.

5. Abomination

Abomination

6. havi

havi

subscribing. And I sent a question to Crystal @ Belmont's for availability and price. (I know Crystal thru another forum)

7. Andy

Andy

They will not match up to the stock mounts in a Ford chassis. The way it worked was that you bought the engine mounts that will accept the Ford biscuts and then buy the chassis mounts for your chassis. The engine mounts would be used in any chassis and were the same.

8. Abomination

Abomination

Does anybody have any other pictures of these chassis mounts? I'd love to see a few.

~Jason

9. havi

havi

She quoted the hurst mounts at $135 plus $10 shipping. He now accepts Paypal.

10. 73RR

73RR

Dimensions would be useful also....

11. Abomination

Abomination

Is there a link?

Just curious. Are these the tops and bottoms?

~Jason

12. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I have a set of EARLY NOS Hurst mounts I got for my Desoto hemi in my '32, really crude looking welds, hand stamped HURST on them, I'll get some pics up. I also took all the dimensions from them and plan to reproduce them, all CNC cut on the laser and TIG welded, drawn up in Solid Works.

13. Abomination

Abomination

You've got 'em in math now? Nice!

I'd LOVE to see a set of pictures! The time is SO right for these mounts to resurface - hell, for the whole Adjust-A-Torque line to resurface - but I'm preaching to the choir on that one, especially around here. :)

For that matter, it's about damn time for some Holley 94 repops too, but that's another story. :)

~Jason

14. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I should be able to have a few sets made in a couple weeks, they're good looking mounts!

15. Abomination

Abomination

Post us some pics!

Hell, anybody making these should post us some!!!

~Jason

16. Abomination

Abomination

It ain't SPAM 'Cause I asked. That's your out, man.

If you've set price, hook us up... these are like $30/pair, right? :cool:

~Jason

17. George G

George G

Need some for a nailhead. Anyone?

18. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

If I make a run of them, I'll hook people up on them, not out to make tons of money, more to help fellow rodders out!

19. Abomination

Abomination

I think that's a killer idea!

It would be nice to see these repopped as well...

~Jason

20. Abomination

Abomination

LOL!

Man, that's why they were made in the first place! ;)

Let us know when they're ready!

~Jason

21. 73RR

73RR

If 'noshine would be so kind as to make a educated guess as to price then some of the rest of us can decide whether or not to keep trying to whittle down our costs in order to provide a reasonable part at a reasonable price.
    Everything runs on dollars these days and I'm trying my best to get the price under the ebay offering that started this conversation.

22. Abomination

Abomination

If things weren't that way, there would be a lot more 318 Poly intake manifolds out these days than there are. ;)

~Jason

23. 73RR

73RR

For those with an interest in the 'Hurst' mounts, I have managed to get the cost down to about $50/pair. Thats my bare cost, no margin added.
    I will need to make at least 25 pair to hold this price so please let me know where the interest level is at. At this time I really do not want to carry any inventory so I will make them on a pre-paid basis with a minimum of 20 pair to get started.
    Who is in ??

Gary

24. 73RR

73RR

Apparently, only 3 guys want these mounts...??

...I sure wish that someone would step up and make......OH Wait, I just did that.

Here is the new version of the old Hurst mount.

[​IMG]

Like I said before, I really don't want to carry alot of inventory so we will make these in small batches.
    The first 10 pair are up for grabs. $50 per pair plus $5 freight.
    Paypal, cash, or USPS Money Order only.

Gary

25. 39delux

39delux

I ran across this picture of my '47 coupe with the 331 in it. It's a pretty good view of the Hurst mounts with the anti chatter adjusters on them. Supposedly they stopped clutch chatter when using a stock closed driveline.

Tom

Attached Files:

26. Abomination

Abomination

I've seen the ads for 'em in old catalogues... THOSE are the anti-chatter pieces installed? They look like regular old metal strapping... like for a gas tank or something.

~Jason

27. 39delux

39delux

Yep. They are the same thickness as the mount material and the bolt is in a tapped hole. You tighten it against the mount and it pulls on the bolt head. I have no idea if they worked but they were also in a Hurst box when I got them from J.C.Whitney.

Tom

28. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

39 Delux when you had the 331 in your 40 how much did you have to modify the firewall?And with these mounts if I understand this right they bolt up to the stock flathead mounts on the frame with the stock style rubber doughnuts right?
    The reason I ask is this has peaked my intrest in dropping my 354 poly into my 39 std.

29. 39delux

39delux

This was 1964 when I put this engine in but I'll try to remember what I can. I sold the '47 in 1981 so I don't have it around to look at. I's still around now mounted on a '68 442 chassis. The hemi I sold seperately.

As you can see in the photo the mounts set on stock Ford bisquits and bolt through the stock Ford holes. I had a stick belhousing on this and with the carbs leveled I had to trim the bottom of the firewall maybe an inch for clearance, then modify the floor pan to fit. The stick bellhousing had mounting ears like a '55-'57 Chevy so some standoff mounts were made bolt in style and attached to the x member. The ears then set on rubber mount pads that I can't remember what they were for.

The Hemi was a rear sump and the pan cleared the tie rods and wishbones. The oil filter cleared the frame by about 1/4". I planned on clearancing the top of the rail slightly to give some wiggle room. The starter was very close to the steering box but didn't touch. The stock rams horn manifolds were very close to the frame If I remember, if they cleared at all. Today I'd just get some Sandersons.

I never got this car finished as life got in the way after high school with Viet Nam and all so I never fit the trans in. It still had the closed drive line rear end in it to roll around but I had a '57 Chevy rear for it. The trans was a late '50s Plymouth (I think) 9 bolt side cover 3 speed that looked like it would fit throught the x member once it was modified and once the rear parking brake drum was removed from the tailhousing. It was a very skinny trans. Since you are using a Turbo 400 I'd just get the Chassis Engineering split wishbone and trans mount kit.

I don't know what to tell you about the center sump pan. I'd have to see it in position to see what mods to recommend. Maybe someone else here has experienced this.

Tom

30. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Thanks agian for the info this will help alot.:D