Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi Casting # Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kjohnson, Jul 22, 2009.

1. kjohnson

kjohnson

Just wanted to start off by saying that I have never started a thread before so please bear with me. My old man has a 1956 Dodge fire truck job rated R. The engine casting number in the front of the valley is VT 348 I have tried to find this number but have failed many times. On the data plate it is rated at 175 or 170 hp It is damaged so I can't make out the last number. I am guessing a 270 but the last number dosen't match up. Any help would be great!! Kirk

2. jj mack

jj mack

Check here.

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/

Click on ID your hemi. Your number is not listed , but there are a few that are close, could that 8 be a 6?

3. Skirv

Skirv

According to my Hemi engine data book "VT348" is a 331, which would be the rebadged Chrysler that was used in some Dodge trucks.

4. kjohnson

kjohnson

That is what I am thinking. After looking at all the hp ratings for the truck 270 it never made 175 hp. The 331 was offered in 56 truck as hemi and polly but the numbers are one off for the hemi (vt 448). Thanks for the info!! If it was a Chrysler engine wouldn't it have a Chrysler casting number?

5. squirrel

squirrel

THe stamped number is not the casting number...that's cast into the side of the block, and is 7 digits.

Terminology can cause confusion

6. kjohnson

kjohnson

Sorry my mistake

7. George

George

casting # is pass side rear between the head & valley cover. Difficult, @ best, to see with the intake on.