Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford transmission & hydraulic throwout bearing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awelker, Oct 18, 2008.

1. awelker

awelker

Anybody out there running an early ford three speed with some type of hydraulic throwout bearing? If so what brand. Thanks.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There was a kit available via Honest Charley and such into the 1960's, no longer available but worth looking at for design. My flying guess is that it used Ford or GMC truck slave cylinder, but I really don't know.
    It consisted of a simple piece of flat steel plate, contoured and drilled on one edge to bolt directly to the left row of bolts holding top cover to transmission. The outer part of the plate was drilled for the slave cylinder, giving it a straight shot at the lever. Most speed catalogs for a few years each side of 1960 will show a picture of this.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The reason for that suggestion is that I suspect that modern thorowouts may well be to small in ID for early Ford use.

4. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

BTTT, Thanks bruce, anybody got anything else??

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1965 I ran an Offenhauser adapt. from 260 SBFORD to '39 trans. with hyd. clutch setup. Pedal assembly & under dash bracket came from early 60's Ford Econoline.
    If thats any help!!---------------------Don

6. overspray

overspray

I got one from the local race car shop for a chevy and took it and the input collar down to the machine shop. The machinist turned the collar down to fit the chevy diameter. I had to chamfer the edge for the spacers when I got home, I should have brought a spacer with. I think the whole cut was .040 or .050 and it works fine. 1951 Ford 3 speed with overdrive. I'll look and see if I can find the box. It was a quarter stick or some drag race name product.

overspray

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm thinking problem on the Ford side...early throwout ID is big, much bigger than hevy or '51 Ford. Maybe one for a big-spline toploader woulg go in there??

8. awelker

awelker

Thanks to all for the input. Bruce, I think you are correct with the big spline toploader. I have been searching for such a thing but have yet to find one, everything is for small spline ford and chevy.

9. hisel76

hisel76

just bumping this old thread to see if anyone has anything to add to it. im looking into the same thing and wonder if anyone has any more info on the pilot bearing.

10. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

When I did mine I was unable to find a hydraulic bearing that would fit over the tube so I fabricated a mounting bracket and welded it to the crossmember I made and used a slave cylinder. Works great. However, I did fabricate a longer arm that connects to the shaft to give more leverage and reduce pedal pressure. Works great!

P82A0026_zps6b66af0f.jpg

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The old Honest Charley kit from circa 1960 I mentioned above was functionally similar to VA Hamb's picture except that the bracket for the cylinder attached to the bolts holding shift top to trans. Most likely its slave cylinder was from a period pickup truck application...both Ford and Chevy used hydraulic setups about this time.

12. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

In the first incarnation of my 31A-Olds-36-3spd I used the 60's Ford PU slave cylinder mounted on a crudely fabbed bracket off the top cover bolts. Pretty much the same as some of the others have noted here.Worked great.