Register now to get rid of these ads!

early ford spindles/axles,again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swedester, Nov 21, 2004.

1. I´m looking at an old axle that has the large bolt pattern,wich would indicate 36 to 41,right?
    and someone said that the 37-something has tube axles originaly?so,does the 36 spindle take juice brakes,and wich exact years used tube axles?

2. MattStrube

MattStrube

Yea, the 36 should accomodate juice brakes, you got a picture?

3. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

To the best of my knowledge the wide 5 ford pattern was 1936 thru 1939. The Tube axle was used on the 1937 V8-60 cars. As far as Juice brakes fitting the 36 Spindles, Yes if they are 39,40 or 41 backing plates. I'm sure you will get more replys to confirm this info.

4. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

[ QUOTE ]
    The Tube axle was used on the 1937 V8-60 cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tube axles was not used on this side of the pond.
    A swedish sold V8-60 would've had an I-beam.
    No idea why.

5. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

The 36 spindle is more square that the 38 that is round.
    I dont know about the 37.

I think you can mount juice brakes on the 36 but its not a bolt on you need an adapter of some sort.

The easiest is to lay your hands on 38-49 spindles, the will mount on your axle

6. well it´s usable then,I´ll check the backing plates next time to confirm the type,so it could be 39-up to then,god to know,there was to much snow on it to check for hyd brakes,brrrr!
    thanks for the quick replys,you guys rock!

7. klazurfer

klazurfer

Spindles from `37 to `41 are ìdentical ( Nice ) , `42 to`48 have the same dimentions , BUT not so good lookin` ). `35 -`48 spindles are cross steer .`39 to `42 Backing-plates have Dual-adjustment of the brake-shoes , `45-`48 have only the upper adjustment.`32 to `48 spindles will fit any axle within this period ( Ford , that is [​IMG] ), but King-pins differ :`32-`34 , `35-`36 ,`37-`41 and `42-`48.
    `32-`36 spindles will accept `39-`48 backing-plates , but you will have to buy ( or make ) a pair of adapters, Because the Mech and Hydr.backing-plates have different InnerDia & OuterDia on the spindles ( mounting holes ) & Backing-plates , And ,the `39-`48 Hub needs to be moved out about 10 mm between the spindle & Hub ( Spacer between the inner wheel bearing & Spindle ). ...
    Pic : `32 Spindle , `40 Bacing plate ...

Attached Files:

8. good info klazurfer,next Q:I have got a nice axle whith spindles from an 28-31 ford model A,(well 3 actually)does that spindle have the same dim.s as the 32?
    / Vince

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I´m looking at an old axle that has the large bolt pattern,wich would indicate 36 to 41,right?
    and someone said that the 37-something has tube axles originaly?so,does the 36 spindle take juice brakes,and wich exact years used tube axles?

[/ QUOTE ]

The wide pattern was available from 36-39.

Wide five mechanical brakes with a square spindle flange at the backing plate would make it a 36. Mech. brakes with a round spindle flange would make it 37-38. Wide five hydraulic brakes with a round flange would make it a 39. That should help you date the parts. IF NO ONE HAS UPDATED THE BRAKES IN THE PAST.

I believe that the 37 V8-60 was the only tube axle making it rare and pricey.