Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early ford rear axle ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bbhf, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

Greetings to all from CT. I am in need of some help IDing my ford rear axle. How do you tell which year you have so as to get the right spring and shackles. I was told it was a 39-40. What measurements are needed to get it right. Thanks,sk

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

how about a picture?

3. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

I will see if I can post one. It is a spring behind setup, juice brakes. It is an early ford rear. Sk

4. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

don't go by the brakes- it is pretty common to find early rear ends that have been converted to juice brakes so they aren't a tell-tale sign. if it's complete with the torque tube and 'bones here is an easy guide:

1932-1934 the wishbones are bolted to the bottom of the axle housings about 8" from the ends. the tabs for the wishbones are welded on, but will not go all the way around the housing, just the bottom. the spring hangers are forged on to the axle tubes. on the 1932, the part where the torque tube bolts to the diff is round (most) it is more of a star shape on the rest.

1935-1936 have the spring mounted off of the wishbones. the bracket for the bones is welded to the tubes, but it will be welded 360 degrees around the tube. there are no hangers on the ends of the tubes.

1937-1941 there is nothing welded on the tubes and the wishbones are about 6' long- almost to the end of the torque tube. they will also use the same lower 2 bolts as the backing plates.

1942-1948 same as 1937-1941 but the wishbones are about 4' long and mount 1/2 way up the torque tubes.

check and see if there are brackets welded to the bottom of the axle tubes. if there are, you know it's 1932-1936, if not it is 1937-1948 and you will have to measure the width. or, of course, someone may have just welded brackets on ... but it is usually easy to tell if they're from the factory.

i hope that helps!!
    -rob

5. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Here you go... Double click on the pic's to make them big enough to read...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by chopt top kid [​IMG]
    Here you go...

Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

wow, thanks for the info. I will take some measurements and pics and post them. I have the tube but not the bones. This rear will be under my lastest project, a 31 coupe. More to follow. Sk

7. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

here are a few pics of my rear axle: one pic is the center to center of perch, one of backing plate to backing plate: sk

Attached Files:

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

If you haven't figured it out from the info posted above, it's definitely a 46-48 rear end, the stud for the panhard bar is the smoking gun.

9. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

Yep. Got it. Thanks to all. Sk