Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford juice brake parts numbers are here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmarv, Sep 8, 2006.

1. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

c&c automotive distribution in long beach (anaheim & linden) should have the shoe's i used to work there and carquest gets most there parts from them they have a store front, but dont bother trying to have them look up part numbers i already tried all of there books say obsolete, i tried to cross reference spring numbers through carlson but came up with nothing

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Thanks for posting the numbers.
    Hint: By replying I can locate this thread through my subscribed threads in the quick links.
    Thanks again.
    Mart.

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Good to know.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Clips and springs are not going to turn up in parts store channels. Go to Sacramento Vintage or Joblot Automotive.
    Some of the little horseshoe retainers exist in some more modern use...I used to buy them from Bendix fast moving parts racks, but never found out what they might have been for.

5. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks Dan,

not sure this info will work in Australia, but then I can just call you and get you to get the stuff for me!

cheers.

6. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

All great info for my file! cheers

7. sodas38

sodas38

Very good and on-topic thread. Thank you!!

8. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

Hey guys are 39-41 and 42-48 ford brake shoes interchagable? I can get my hands on a set of later model ones but I have the early backing plates. can the double d hole be modified to fit the round hole?

9. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

The springs for 39-42 and 46-48 Ford/Merc brakes (Lockheed type) that almost all of the
    parts places sell are actually for something else; close but no cigar; they are too short,
    which also makes them difficult to install #%*@. I have springs made that are the correct length.

10. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

Its 39-42 = round holes, 46-48= oblong holes. Can probably maybe modify the round
    holed shoes to become the oblong holed shoe, but the other way around would require
    more than just removing material (like welding stuff back in) and would not be worth the
    time/trouble. The round hole shoes seem to be easier to find, so should just trade yours
    for the round ones. Are your shoes already relined or just "cores"?

11. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

There are USA-made brake parts (desirable) and Foreign-made brake parts (not so desirable.) Raybestos also makes for NAPA and most of these parts are still USA, although they have been slipping in some Chinese stuff that looks ok BUT has a metric
    bleeder screw, which can be irritating at the least. Sometimes going to the local NAPA
    or wherever will get you the parts, but the PRICE will be often be higher than you need
    to pay, as the "retail" or "list" price is really huge, and they will give you a big discount
    off of that, but it is still too much.

12. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

Thanks Richard. They are relined and I can get them for nothing. I think I'll go ahead and take them and see what I can do to make them fit.

13. Bad ass post. putting these numbers in my road book for traveling.

14. Wildfire

Wildfire

Got early Ford front brake hoses

Raybestos p/n BH4900 or BH7600 - Autozone's are made in Italy - Caio bella!

15. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

just got a catalog from joblot they have a 39-48 kit with
    new master cylinder, 2 front and 2 rear wheel cylinders
    3 brake hoses, and 4 retracting springs for $275.95
    part# 21A-2060-KIT

they also have 48-60 f100 kits too, and a lot of nos flathead parts

they dont show the parts on their site but you can order a catalog
    and it has all their contact info

www.joblotauto.com

16. junkmonger

junkmonger

Excellent work! I've been looking for this exact kit for a while now. Thanks for the tip.

17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for the info..........I found an old Joblot catalog today to order some parts for the 40' and searched Joblot on the HAMB.........

Chris

18. Amen there, brother! My left front brake locked up on my way to the Hot Rod Hula Hop in Columbus this weekend and this would have came in handy. (Especially had I been somewhere other than the middle of Amish country-nowhere!)

Fortunately, it cooled down and unlocked on it's own and I had no problems on the way home. But I still have some obvious work to do before James Dean Run.

Thanks for all the info gang. Really appreciate the sharing of your knowledge and wisdom.

19. ocfab

ocfab

good stuff back to the top

20. dmarv...thanks...

21. Chuck R

Chuck R

Thanks for the info, I am thinking I need to do some work on my front brakes.
    chuck

22. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Thanks for the info.

23. duste01

duste01

discontinued or warehouse class, if you can find a warehouse witht them in it, or on permanent back order from the manufacturer. price would be walk in or white sheet. cash up front.

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The difference in 39-41 brake shoes and 42-48 brake shoes IS the lower hole. The 39-41 shoes have the round hole for the brass lower adjustment cam insert, while the 42-48 shoes have the "double D" hole for the shoe cam to mount on the round pin at the bottom using the cover plate and cotter keys. 42-48 shoes are not adjustable at the heel end of the shoes.

25. Can anyone give a positive ID ( year & model ) on the two red Ford drums in the pic ?

Attached Files:

26. Sailor Mike

Sailor Mike
    from Indiana

Just wanted to bump this thread back up since it's got alot of helpful information.

I was able to get all the bearings and races from NAPA for my 40 ford drums. Although the only thing that didn't work was the: "1935-1948 Front wheel seal National Seal #5796"... Was too large so I just reused the old seals which were still in good condition.

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

28. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Thank you! Very much.

29. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

sweet! ill need this down the road

30. 2935ford

2935ford

I'll have to try those wheel cyl #'s here in Canada. The ones I got from CarQuest here were Chinese and no where near like the originals.