Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford clutch... help me remember

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, May 13, 2018.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

When I was building the F1 nearly 20 years ago, I took the flywheel off a 68 Ford 302 and the pressure plate from the 1950 F1 3 speed to Birmingham Clutch.
    Birmingham Clutch was a business in operation since the 30s. The man wore the striped coveralls.. It was a 1 man shop... brick one bay.... name painted on the bricks. It was a real time warp. Sadly it's gone now.
    The 302 is mated to the 1950 3 speed. I had a bad head injury in 2003. I can't remeber what I had him do.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Man.... I can't remember either.

But then.... I don't think I was there!

A good parts man should be able to figure out what you have.... But that presents its own problem. Finding a good parts man!

F-ONE likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Have you got a problem your trying to fix? Or are you just trying to recall how everything’s matted together?

You could have had him drill the flywheel to bolt on the 50 pressure plate?

F-ONE and Hnstray like this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That's it.... drilling the fly wheel. That's what I thought but it's been a long time.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another factor...you need the finger type that the F1 had on its pressure plate, or just plain an F1 pressure plate, as early Fords and F1's use a bigger throwout bearing than most other vehicles. If you use a plate with later Ford spacing you will get nasty interference in there

F-ONE likes this.
  6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Like Bruce said, these take a “long” style pressure plate and the spacing on the clutch fingers is wider apart for the early Flathead stuff because of the 1 3/8” input shaft.

Ford used this large input on later 60’s HP cars also so getting clutch parts is pretty straight forward.

You will need to know what clutch size is in there now, 10”, 10.5”, 11” , you get the drill. Then order the plate and disk you need from there.

I just did a small block swap to early 3 speed, easy to get whet I needed.

Cliff Ramsdell

F-ONE likes this.