Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford center sections iron or steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadetreerodder, Nov 28, 2009.

1. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Anybody know if Ford banjo center sections are cast iron or steel? Did they use both? Trying to increase my knowledge of early Ford stuff. Seeing all these posts about homebuilt quickchanges has me entriqued. Thanks. PS I did an archive check, possibly didn't look deep enough.

2. Since cast iron cracks easily, I'd venture a guess that they're cast steel...

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time for a traditional grinder-spark test here. I think it's gotta be steel...they weld, and they didn't all break in half by the Truman administration. The earliest Model A ones were fabricated! They rolled a chunk of channel ito a circle and added a separately made snout, put it all together with an automated arc welding process!

4. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Did a spark test and used a piece of 1/4" cold rolled plate for confirmation. They are indeed cast steel.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Cast steeel....can be welded if things are done right.....

6. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

I have been reading up on that on the web. Seems heating to 400 degrees is the best method. Tig is most often sugested but mig will work also. Now all I have to do is figure a way to maintain the temp while welding. Slow cool down in an oven is also recommended. Anybody know anymore about this?