Register now to get rid of these ads!

early Ford brake drum question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CB_Chief, Mar 31, 2009.

1. I have located a complete set of running gear from 36-37 Ford and wondered if I can use the early wide bolt pattern brake drums om my '48 axles with the '48 backing plates and brakes?

2. jetmek

jetmek

my memory aint so good but i think the rears will be ok...if it 36 (sqre back spindles) i think youre sol on the front. mahaps you could mate the 36 spindles /drums to the late back plates? 37-39 front drums i think fits juice brakes,

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You can't use '36 front drums. I think '36 rears will work, '37-9 are all fine.

4. Bruce's right. The 36 rears will work, the 36 front inner bearing is offset 1" from 37-39....these fronts are getting harder to find...

5. i wish some one made new wide five drums

6. Bruce, if they are 37-39 they will work on the 48 spindle then? I am thinking about buying the rearend, front axle and steering column, wheel and box to pick apart for my 27 coupe.

Thanks

Larry

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep, '37-9 were used without change on hydraulics and mechanicals. Look for numbers beginning "78" on hubs...'36 is "68"

8. Thanks Bruce. I am going to look at teh running gear this weekend. This stuff has been sitting out in the weather for a couple of years, is there anything I should look for inparticular?

Larry

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One more sign...'36 will have rod operated brakes, 1937 are cable