Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford 3 speed question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronzmtrwrx, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I have a side shift 3sp out of a 46 ford that visually looks to be in decent shape. I have a bare top loader case that according to the serial numbers is a 37 model. Is it possible to take the guts out of the 46 and put them in the 37? Also wondering whose book on the 3sp trans do you guys recommend.

2. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Thanks, I failed to mention I have a top with forks, but I haven't checked the numbers on it yet to know if it was off the bare case I have. Lots of info on Van Pelts site, so I figured that may be the book to buy. Thanks again.

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

You need a 39 top and forks . the case will work fine. get van pelts book, it rules.

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Thanks, lowsquire. I'll check the top when I get to the shop tomorrow, and definitely order the book.

5. 42merc

42merc

The 2nd & high shift fork needs to be a 3" fork. 1939 top & fork should work as is, '37 &' 38 tops will work but need a 3" fork installed. I believe Van Pelt sells these.

6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Checked when I got to the shop this morning. I have the double detent 81A top but it has an earlier 2nd-High shift fork that has been ground on to open it up for the later synchro. I felt lucky just to have the right top anyway.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Finding the correct fork is getting expensive, and many of them are rather worn. Since you have everything else already, splurging on a new fork from VanPelt might just be the best way to go. And he has all the other rebuild parts you'll need, as well as much advice. Even after studying his excellent manual, I still had a couple questions which he was eager to answer.