Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early drag racing photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tywester1955, Feb 27, 2021.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Bernie Partridge at the '59 Detroit Nationals a few years before he became NHRA announcer.

upload_2021-12-19_11-21-6.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

6. Fordors

Fordors

One of the first times out, if not the very first, of the car that came to be called Pure Hell. The A/HR class designation on the car was for Hot Roadster, which eventually became Fuel Altered.

7. Fordors

Fordors

The dragster run by the Frantic Four team, Weekly, Rivero, Fox and Holding.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

9. Yes, and that looks to be Rich Guasco and Dale Emory, owner, and driver.

bchctybob, 0ldracer, Sky Six and 4 others like this.
  10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Dover dragstrip, I remember seeing that Merc. I don't remember the name but I thought it was cool. Flag starter I think, so pretty early.

Pat

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. Larry T

Larry T

A friend of mine talked about going to Green Valley for a big meet years ago. He said when they got there the whole place was under water and there was no way to race. They were all standing around the gate talking and a GMC with "Here comes trouble" painted on the front pulled up and Garlits got out and walked up to where they were. Someone handed Mr.Garlits 1000.00, he climbed back in the truck and headed back to Florida.

12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Larry I don't doubt that your friend told you that, it's just I have never seen Garlets use a GMC carryall/truck. I've only seen him with Dodge trucks. That does not mean I can't be wrong.

Pat

Deuces, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

TRUE STORY:
    I was an engineer at Ford R&E doing dyno testing on V8s. We used to do dyno testing with pans like that on the dyno to eliminate windage losses. One night I got a call from a newly hired dyno tech on the midnight shift who was getting one of our prototypes ready to fire up. He inquired, "How much oil should the engine hold? I put 23 quarts in it and the level is still not up to 'full' on the dipstick."

Thereafter the engine was always jokingly referred to as "Ol' Number 23".

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Maybe he inferred it was 303ci, High Performance

40ragtopdown, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. See post#1232

Mick

mad mikey, loudbang and 40ragtopdown like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

Garlits drove that GMC Carryall pretty early on, that dragster looks like the Swamp Rat 1B, he went to the drag chute after he put a blower on the car.
    A number of reasons come to mind for him to use a GMC like that, it was a good travel vehicle if he took his family, Dodge offered nothing like it and it wasn’t until Dodge gave him a sponsorship that he switched to Dodge pickups.
    The Green Valley story sounds typical, he had a guarantee that paid even if the race didn’t go off as scheduled. Don was known to request payment in cash, and he preferred gold coin if possible.

bchctybob, Larry T, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

''Garlits received a concussion in a Houston parking lot when a jack slipped out from under his GMC Carry-All, pinning his head under the front suspension. Not long afterwards, Connie Swingle saved his life when the same GMC plunged into a murky ditch at 2 am, on the road between a Sat. date in Columbia and a Sunday date in Savannah."
    Page 100, "High Performance", Rob't C. Post

19. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Considering Oldsmobile only had two engines that year, a 6cyl and the 303 V8 2bl.....the 303ci would be a High Performance item.

loudbang likes this.
  20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thanks Fordor and 302 for the history lesson. I was only 12 when introduced to drag racing and went to the track in 62-63 with the MG I own. When I saw Garlits it was always a black car and I don't recall any flames, also I think the cars I saw where blown. It's been a long time.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  21. Not to cause trouble - but Dodge did offer the Tradesman in window and panel versions along with a Power Wagon 4 wheel drive in the mid-50's up into the late 60's but what was said - he didn't have the sponsorship by Dodge until after he had gotten going.

loudbang and Fordors like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, I had looked online for a comparable Mopar truck but couldn’t fine one until I did another l search.
    57D74D07-3C10-4B07-A4F5-E39E7C31D200.jpeg So I stand corrected, there were windowed Tradesman’s built, but I guess Don wasn’t particularly brand loyal, at least not until he got the sponsorship.
    The Power Wagon seems like a non issue, very rough riding and there was no need for 4WD. The GMC Carryall was no luxury vehicle either, but far better for cross country travel.

photo credit to allpar.com

stillrunners, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  23. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Pat: I was also at Dover during the 63 and 64 years and I also remember seeing Don Garlits, and he had an all black dragster with no flames at that point in time.
    On those early days, I would have been standing on the spectator side of the track.
    Jim Hill

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-23_4-42-22.png 1959 December Riverside Raceway So Cal

Hello,

Don Garlits had come West to the First Annual Bakersfield Smokers March Meet in March of 1959. He had the carburetor version of his Hemi motor. But, was lost in the first round. Then as history presents itself, the Westcoast tour of California presented a new look and more power for his drag racing group.

Now, in Northern California, he started to set some records and was gaining respect from the knowledge he gained in talking to the Westcoast engine builders and manufacturers. He was impressive and with the last drag race of 1959 coming up in So Cal, he now had a competitive racer and obviously more power.

When we heard that Don Garlits was coming to Riverside Raceway with the Swamp Rat, my brother and I were excited like a late Christmas present. The holiday was past, but the late December drag meet was a surprise for all of us on the Westcoast. Garlits showing at the 1959 Bakersfield March Meet was nothing to write home about. But, there was a change in the build and functioning of his new supercharged motor.
    upload_2021-12-23_4-43-39.png What is the secret under the cover?

We knew of his exploits, but as Westcoast drag race folks, the Eastcoast bravado on top speed and low e.t. times were just writing on the wall. We wanted to see actual proof for the popular Eastcoast racer. He did not forget the last time he was in So Cal. But, the black FED had some great looking flames on the body.

Jnaki

Then months later in March of 1960, he wanted to show everyone he now had something to prove from his showing at last year’s March Meet. This time with Art Malone doing the driving. The same black paint and goldish flames were ever present again.
    upload_2021-12-23_4-44-44.png

Garlits Chronicles 59-60 So Cal
    from 0:00 to :43 on the film. The rest of the film is his brother, Ed, at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1960.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  26. loudbang

loudbang

27. loudbang

loudbang