Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Custom Trend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 MERC-CT, Jun 7, 2005.

1. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Any body remember what, where and when? :confused: :D

2. HoldFast

HoldFast

I'd be interested in that.

Looks like an attempt to look "futuristic"

other than that it looks like lazy body work..nasty. Flat metal. yuck. (by lazy I don't mean good...I just mean not blended)

3. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nope, but I'm glad it did'nt catch on.

4. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

5. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

That is Frank Mratta(sp) 40 Merc from newengland.I think it was called the pink beast. 00MACK will know for sure.

6. mikes51

mikes51

Frank Marrata's car for sure. I've never seen those in progress shots though, cool.

A side question, did Frank go on to promote the Hartford Autorama?

7. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

These pictures were taken by yours truly about 1958. The car was being prepped for the Autorama. After the Joe Kizis Hartford Autorama folded Frank went on to promote his own show. :) :D

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I've always thought that thing was probably the ugliest custom ever built.

Not sure if it is even really meant to be a "custom" - Almost as if he set out with the intent of REMOVING everything beautiful about the original car, rather than the typical customizer's mindset to remove the ugly parts so the beautiful parts can better show through.

All I can figure is that he had more of the mind-set of one of those Art Car people and was trying to create something crazy rather than beautiful.

Give the guy credit for gettin out there and going for it I guess, but DAMN, some people just have zero taste. I mean, wouldn't you (if you were the guy building it) at some point, stand back and say to yourself: "What in the hell have I done?"

9. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

Yes, it is definitely "Conneticut's Classiest Kustom" built by Frank Marrata. I think it was even a convertable at the beginning.

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

If I remember right....I think he also built a nicely chopped 49-50 Merc, which would seem to indicate that he did have some level of good taste/restraint, but just chose not to use any of it up on this particular project.

Like I say, I tend to think of it more as an Art Car.

The part that's interesting to me is that it apparently received reasonably favorable ink back in the day. So I guess he achieved what he set out to do - grab people's attention.

11. DrJ

DrJ

Hey,
    If ya can't say anything nice, shut your pie hole!

It's his ART WORK, and I'm sure he had good reason to do all that work, and just because it's different from how you would do it if you knew how doesn't make it yours do pick on! :mad:

And in conclusion, that's what us West Coast guys thought ALL East coast cars looked like! :cool:

Kinda has an exaggerted French Coach craft look to it...Doncha think?

12. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

The real shame of this build was that it started life as a mint '39 Merc convertible sedan!!! AAAAAAAAAARGH! This is without a doubt the ugliest "custom" I have ever laid my eyes on. It really made all of us custom nuts living on the East coast just cringe. For sure all of the West coasters were laughing their butts off at the over the top crap that was being produced back here. But, that's just my opinion. Did I say AAAAAAAAARGH!!! Well, I don't know what else to say.

13. It was actually a 39 Mercury convertible sedan(!).A lot of great metalwork for naught in my opinion.I think Frank might have been doing 'shrooms when he built that.
    As I recall he not only put on shows but I believe he was instrumental in the founding of Connecticut Dragway. I always liked his Model A coupe "RAKE".
    I'm not sure that is the ugliest custom ever built.Fellow Connecticut resident John Hychko built some REALLY ugly cars(the metallic green 56 Ford Crown Vic is right up there).And then there is this little gem!

14. mikes51

mikes51

Thanks for posting them, some history there.

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

ahhh, good 'ol Doc.

I knew if I used the word "taste" you'd be here in a flash, like a superhero - Defender of all that is indefensible.

Since when did the HAMB become a place where no one can state an opinion?

16. 00 MACK

00 MACK

.And then there is this little gem![/QUOTE]
    This is my Merc built by Maratta in 55. If you look in threads I started,There is a funny pic of Frank sawing away at it in a thread called Maratta chopped Merc. Hey Rikster ,How come ya never did a Maratta cutom builders thread???Just kidding!

17. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

This is my Merc built by Maratta in 55. If you look in threads I started,There is a funny pic of Frank sawing away at it in a thread called Maratta chopped Merc. Hey Rikster ,How come ya never did a Maratta cutom builders thread???Just kidding![/QUOTE]

here are pictures of frank maratta cutting the roof of 00MACK's car

18. steveb

steveb

Frank probably never heard of that statement, & obviously neither did George Barris.

Steve

19. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

This is my Merc built by Maratta in 55. If you look in threads I started,There is a funny pic of Frank sawing away at it in a thread called Maratta chopped Merc. Hey Rikster ,How come ya never did a Maratta cutom builders thread???Just kidding![/QUOTE]Are you sure that it was built in 55'? I worked for Frank from late 1952 to early 1956 and don't remember the car. But my memory ain't that great. :confused: :)

20. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

you worked for Maratta from 52-56 and don't remember the pink beast??

21. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

I don't remember OO MACK's Merc. I worked on the MYSTERY when it was still a 40' Merc. 4 dr convertible and then on it's several versions. The first version was a 2 pass. roadster painted in Cadillac burgandy mist lacquer. Unlike most customs today it had no Bondo but a lot of lead and Nitro-stan.:)

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Politz,he doesnt remember my car..... The car was built from 54-56 for George Remington and can be seen in the 56 Hartford show program while at Marattas shop. Mike Gintic and Tom Vjestad? helped me get tons of pics. The car was gold and took 2nd place in the 56 Hartford show to a 53 Riv that Frank built. Do you remember that one?

23. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

I did not say that I don't remember the car. I have seen the car at a later time. The car was not done while I worked there. I also know Mike Gintic who I believe is still living in Fla. If the Tom you are talking about is Tom Bieszczad who worked for Frank I also know him. :) :D