Register now to get rid of these ads!

early chrysler frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohemi, Aug 4, 2013.

1. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

I have a 26 chrysler sedan. do I need to box the frame for a early 241 hemi. these frames look a lot bigger then a model a. I assume because of the parrellel spriangs they ran. the frame is in perfect condition and I am just trying to deciede wheather to box or not

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is way stronger than a Model A. You do not need to box it. Depending which model of Chrysler you have, it could have had up to a 100HP engine. The 241 is about 140HP, not enough to stress anything.

They got into boxing frames when they started putting 300 and 400HP engines into cheap Fords that came with 40HP engines, for racing purposes. Your car will be fine.

3. oldolds

oldolds

If you have it all apart, box it. At least from the cowl forward. Just in case you put some more motor at a later date.

4. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

i was thinking about at leat boxing it from the cowl forward. the probelm I see with boxing the whole thing is the way the car is built and lifting the body off the frame. lots of wood figured it would just fall apart when I lift it off and never be the dame again. the car is almost too good to make a hot rod so other then painting the frame good there is almost no need to lift body off the frame

5. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

If the wood is so bad the car will fall apart, you need to re wood the thing.

6. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

no the wood is very good. I am more worried about it not being square after lifting it off the frame. maybe I am just over thinking it and it will come off. all the wood floor is still there along with wood frame around the doors and windows. even the top wood is all there.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Your car was designed to have a certain amount of frame flex. There is no way you will overstress it on the street no matter what motor you put in.

This boxing of frames started with race cars doing 400HP brake torques off the line, a dozen times a day. Your car does not need it and never will need it.

For one thing it is easily twice as strong as a Ford frame, probably stronger than a boxed Ford frame. For another you will never put the stress on it a race car will.

If you think you are going to overstress the frame, first watch this video of what they were designed to take. Then ask yourself if you are going to be harder on your car than these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2jY1trxqg

8. Use the stock frame without boxing.

9. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

this got me thinking. maybe I will just box the front half and put some speed holes in the boxing stell. thanks for all your help guys. I love that video on youtube also

10. BashingTin

BashingTin

That video is amazing! I love how they roll it back onto it's wheels over it's top, and then just roll the windows back up and climb in and drive off... Crazy! :rolleyes: