Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early Chevy Fender Fasteners...What To Use???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyway Hauler, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Hey all!

It's been awhile since I posted...Started working on the '31 Chevy Truck again. I want to mock up the front fenders and aprons (Glass from Superior Glassworks) before I box the frame. Now the idea is to fit everything, and weld nuts on the inside of the frame before boxing. Problem I am having, is I can't find a source for nicely finished fastners.

Anybody been through this? Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help, Dan.

2. Ever think about just welding a thick plate on the inside of the frame before boxing? Then all you need to do is drill and tap the holes through the frame into the plate and you don't have to worry about getting the nuts welded into the perfect position.

3. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Yes, welding a plate on the inside is an option, but what are you guys using for hardware??? I can't find anything that would look descent...

4. I like using stainless button head SHCS. Of course it means using allen wrenches and sockets but they look great.

5. pila38

pila38

I used cage nuts for mine. I couldn't find them anywhere that would sell to the public, so I e-mailed Ohio Nut and Bolt Company to see if they would sell me a small amount. Instead of selling to me, they sent me samples in sizes 5/16", 7/16", and 3/8". Quality pieces and they were free, didn't even have to send postage. Good people there, check them out.

6. You can find all kinds of nuts & bolts in cadmium plated,stainless and chrome as close as your nearest Ace hardware,,using glass fenders make sure you use large flat washers. HRP

7. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Thanks for the responses. I will have to do some digging on the old interweb.