Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early auto rules

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Nov 23, 2022.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Ran across this article recently and thought I'd share.

In the early 1900s, automobiles were accepted as progress in most cities but were generally viewed as a passing fad that would never catch on and actually replace the use of horses for transportation. In rural farm areas however, autos were considered a nuisance and a hazard because horses were afraid of them and would sometimes become uncontrollable, panic and run away with a wagon or buggy. This issue resulted in the formation of “The Farmers’ Anti-Auto Protective Society” a national organization which dictated rules for autoists.
    The following article appeared in the Cashmere Valley Record newspaper in the spring of 1909 (honest to goodness, this is not a joke).
    “Inasmuch as there will be several new automobiles in and around Cashmere this season, it might be well for both ranchers and autoists to know the new code recently agreed upon and adopted by the Farmers’ Anti-Auto Protective Society. The new rules are”:
    1. On discovering an approaching team of horses, the automobilist must stop off side of the roadway and cover his machine with a tarpaulin painted to correspond with the scenery.
    2. The speed limit on country roads this year will be secret, and the penalty for violation will be $10.00 for every mile an offender is caught going in excess of it.
    3. In case an automobile makes a team run away, the penalty will be $50.00 for the first mile, $100.00 for the second mile, $300.00 for the third mile etc. that the team runs; in addition to any damages.
    4. On approaching a corner where he cannot command a view of the road ahead, the automobilist must stop not less than 100 yards from the turn, toot his horn, ring a bell, fire a revolver, and shout hello at intervals of five minutes.
    5. Automobiles must be seasonably painted, that is so they will merge with the pastoral ensemble, and not be startling to horses. They must be green-golden in summer, red in autumn, and white in winter.
    6. Automobiles running on country roads at night must send up a red flare every mile and wait ten minutes for the road to clear. They may then proceed carefully while blowing their horns.
    7. All members of the society must give up Sunday to chasing automobiles, shouting at them, making arrests, and otherwise discouraging country touring on that day.
    8. In case a horse will not pass an automobile, notwithstanding the scenic tarpaulin, the autoist must take the machine apart as rapidly as possible and conceal the parts in the grass.
    9. In case an automobile approaches a farmer’s house when the roads are dusty, it will slow down, and the chauffeur will lay the dust in front of the house with a hand sprinkler worked over the dashboard.
    In spite of these rules, the Paton’s Cascade Garage Ford agency in Cashmere flourished, and Model T Fords sold like hot cakes. It wasn’t long before other auto agencies also appeared in Cashmere, so many of them in fact, that it is almost unbelievable.
    Between the years 1910 and 1938 there were more than forty new car dealerships in Cashmere. In the early years, many companies were manufacturing automobiles, but most of them were not successful and dropped by the wayside. By 1938, there were three remaining dealerships in Cashmere: Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge/Plymouth. The later went out of business in 1939. Chevrolet remained until 1972, and Ford, until 1980.

2. aircap

aircap

And people think todays' rules are stupid...

3. scotts52

scotts52

All these rules are stupid but the one that got me the most was that the speed limit would be a secret.

scotty t and FishFry like this.
  4. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

We also had the red flag rule in the UK. It was allegedly the result of the rail industry lobbying to limit competition.

In the United Kingdom, the Locomotive Acts was a policy requiring self-propelled vehicles to be led by a pedestrian waving a red flag or carrying a lantern to warn bystanders of the vehicle's approach. In particular The Locomotive Act 1865, also known as Red Flag Act,

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Ned Ludd likes this.

5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I have always known of the published rules of warning methods, speed limits, surrender of right of way etc.
    These guys however, were really upset to call for all that. Like craycray.
    My fave is where we need to control the dust, by hand sprinkling.
    Second would be color change each season.
    On a trip thru Cleveland in the Western Reserve, Caldwell museum I viewed the 'Oldest Existing American Closed Body Motorcar' (1898 methinks)..... Outside, on the rear, there is a compact padded and upholstered bench that a footman was to occupy.
    Upon the encounter of a fallen branch(s) His duty was to get off and go clear the way for the motor carriage.

lothiandon1940 and Ned Ludd like this.
  6. And that stuff had the force of law? Or were they just vigilantes? And if the motorist didn't stop, how did they catch them? LOLOL....

low down A and Fortunateson like this.
  7. twenty8

twenty8

Not hard. If you wanted speed back then you had a horse, not a car...........o_O

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Where the hell is the Cashmere Valley? Just goes to show reactionaries are nothing new! Springing into ill-informed action...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  9. I've left money in some small towns where they used that secret speed limit rule. Fuckers knew right to the penny what was in my wallet. I was just glad their x-ray vision didn't extend to the cash stashed in the car.

10. Remember, the whole point of this was the horses would run AWAY from cars....

11. twenty8

twenty8

That's a good point......

12. And what date was this published in the paper? April 1st?

13. Glad I've been doing the ''fire a revolver'' part correctly.

14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They didnt horse around ....too easy

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  15. low down A

low down A

i really hope no one on this site believe this is no more than a joke. we have every one else in these times that would think this nonsense is perfectly normal

wraymen and squirrel like this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was stopped for speeding near Cisco Texas. The fine was $25. Yes it was a long time ago. I was driving my 47 Mercury and I am sure I looked poor. The only money I had was $100 bills. I bet they were disappointed that they didnt get more than $25. lol

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Along the same lines, at one time there were freight trains that ran along 10th ave. in New York City. There were so many casualties between the trains, pedestrians, horse drawn wagons and early motor cars that the city required a man on horse back, waving a red flag to lead the train. They were called the "West Side Cowboy's" and it evolved into the term "Urban Cowboy".

18. Pav8427

Pav8427

Small towns/villages used to have all kinds of crazy stuff like this. Like no billiards on Sunday. That one happened to be in a small former mining town I lived by and was still 'on the books'
    Check your small town. You might be suprised to find out what laws are still there.

19. I did see a guy taking his car apart on the side of the highway. He had most of the top end of the engine laid out in front of the car….I did not see a horse approaching, maybe it already passed and he was reassembling. I stopped to help but he said he had it under control.

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  20. 327Eric

327Eric

Sounds like what the bicyclists want in my neck of the woods.I like the revolver part though.

chevy57dude likes this.
  21. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, now you’re on the map for more than aplets and cotlets.

scotts52 likes this.
  22. twenty8

twenty8

.....'cause that wouldn't have scared the horses.....:confused::rolleyes:

chevy57dude likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Between Leavenworth and Wenatchee WA If you have ever eaten Applets or Cotlets you have had the most famous product out of Cashmere WA

I'd say outside of the noise horses were a lot less worried about automobiles than their owners were. Just like anything new from the begining of time there is going to be someone who thinks it is just flat wrong and is invasive. The people who wrote that would have a hemorage about the number of cars that go though that valley on Highway 2 now especially with all the tourist traffic. Screenshot (693).png

scotts52 likes this.
  24. Had to look that up. Sweet tooth, I’ll have to try them.

Tow Truck Tom and lothiandon1940 like this.