Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 60s Studebaker questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitard, Jul 31, 2013.

1. guitard

guitard

Got a line on an early 60s Studebaker Lark, with a straight 6. I believe it's a 3-speed manual - if so, was this someone else's trans and what will it bolt to? Anyone make adapters if I need one? What's the bolt pattern on the wheels?

Thanks! ~Scott in TX

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I believe they used a Warner trans. Somebody might make adapters. Wheels are 5 bolt 4 1/2" circle like Ford, Dodge, Plymouth, Toyota pickup, Hudson, DeSoto, Mercury, Ford pickup.

3. aircap

aircap

Join the forum over on the Studebaker Drivers Club website and get some answers from the source!

4. Swifster

Swifster

It's most likely a BW T-96 light duty trans. The bolt pattern on the wheels was 5 x 4-1/2 like a Ford or Chrysler. The brakes will be drums and barely large enough to slow the car down.

Larks are solid, well built cars. Most parts are available NOS or reproduction and what you can't get used won't be hard to find used.

5. guitard

guitard

Thank you guys so much. This board ALWAYS comes through.

I'm familiar with tiny drums from my /6 Mopars... and have plenty of wheels around, that's great news about the bolt pattern!

I'll post pics next time the wife goes away for the weekend and "the jalopy fairy" brings it. "Gee hon, all I did was stick a spark plug under the pillow... you know like what happened with the 62 Valiant? Amazing!!!"

Checking out the Stude club link too... again, many thanks.

6. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I like the 1st Generation Lark style. When you get the car, check for a silver handle to the left of the steering wheel under the dash. If it's there, you're in luck, you have an OD trans and that makes the car much quieter and nicer to drive.

If not, you can find a trans for the car w/OD, or even the separate OD unit to add. If you're going to drive it much, and on the highway, you'll want to invest in it.

Good luck. Also, check to see if there are any close (?) Studebaker clubs to you, that will be a big help as well.

Good luck and welcome to the Dark Side!

7. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you they sixes are too slow. I do 65 @ 2500 rpm with mine, but I have the OD tranny.

They just don't keep at that on a climb or accelerate fast.;)
    As far as transportin' yourself, it gets the job done.

8. will/we'll be waiting for pics.....before we help anymore with speed secerets....