Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early 60's GM bucket seat question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jan 23, 2023.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a set of the early 60's GM bucket seats with the chrome wrap around band on the seat backs in my 61 LeSabre. Is there a way to change the seat back angle slightly? I have the seat itself shimmed like I want it but the seat back is tilted forward just a bit more than I like it. I have looked at it and I don't see an easy way but thought I would pick the brain trust of the HAMB. THANKS,

2. If you lean the back of the seat forward, is there an adjustable stop on the seat bottom? If not there should be a bumper on one side and a washer that it contacts on the other. You can remove the screw and use a thicker washer, or something similar to bring the seat back more forward.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Nothing but two thin bumpers bumping up against two washers that I have seen. They are located on the bottom of the seat back and the area between the hinges, as I recall. I will look again tomorrow.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rare but my 442 has a power seat on the drivers side. Only 4 way but it is comfortable.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Tilt (shim) the front edge of the seat upwards. Then take out the hog rings on the seat bottom. And pull the cover down a bit more and re-hog ring it. Giving you more of a rear lean and still have the seat bottom where you like it. Also, check the frames over closely. They are prone to cracking and need welded. 80% of the time, this is true for this style of buckets.

jim snow and drdave like this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. No adjustment. Just 2 plastic bumpers and 2 washers. I guess I will try to cut down the bumpers but they are only about 1/4" thick. I have already shimmed the front and it has new springs and foam in it.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was able to find some hard plastic material and make some thinner bumpers to get a more comfortable angle. That is the only way I see of "adjusting" them. Thanks, guys.

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If they are factory 1961 buckets, they are worth a bundle if they are the hard backs..

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

62-65 style. Not hard backs. Doesn't matter. I've got a bundle in them and they are staying with the car. :D

jim snow likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You can also do it this way.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would not look right on these seats. Thanks anyway.

12. BJR

BJR

Can you redrill the seat pivot on either the bottom or the seat back. Or get or make offset bolts, like the cams in the bottom old Ford brake shoe anchors. Then you could change the angle at will by turning the bolt.

rockable likes this.