Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical early 60s 4 speed toploader in a 1939 ford deluxe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Indigo Lucifer, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Indigo Lucifer

Indigo Lucifer

So I have a buddy working on a 1939 ford deluxe convertible coupe. He's replacing the flathead with a 312 Y-Block and wants to use the 4 speed toploader he has in his shop. The issue is how is the shifter going to fit? Will he need a new custom tailhousing or will he need to use a fabricated top mounted shifter linkage akin to the 1939 flathead shifters? He wants to use a hurst shifter of some sort and has a 1939 worlds fair shift knob he wants to use as well.

2. 28rp

28rp

Maybe he could consider using the shifter from a Jeep four speed gearbox-a T176 I believe-they almost bolt on to the Top Loader-just a little grinding on the case and drill and tap one hole. The only downside is that the gearbox box has to be pulled apart to get the original shift forks out. But , it would be pulled to bits for a freshen up anyway,right?
    The holes in the side of the case that are left over can be filled with frost plugs. It, s a great conversion-put the shifter right on top of the box. I understand they are being made repo now-David Kee Toploaders?

stillrunners likes this.
  3. Somehow I have the feeling that those Jeep shifters aren't as conducive to speed-shifting as external linkage...

As far as shifter fit, Ford had at least three, maybe four locations for those. Mustang, all the way at the end of the tailshaft housing, full-size forward some, Fairlane forward some more, and Falcon/Comet right behind the main box. IIRC, there's some variation between years also. David Kee has these, you might have to change the mainshaft as not all tailshaft housings are the same length, and of course you'll need the right shifter.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. 28rp

28rp

Yeah,you are probably right Crazy Steve.I installed my TopLoader behind a midly worked 8BA in my 35 pick up, and I,m an ol fart now and have given up speed shifting-breaks too many parts!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have an early toploader behind the 312 in my 28 pickup. The tailshaft had a factory pocket in it that my Hurst shifter fit into. I believe the installation kit was designed for 60s or 70s F100s.