Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 50's willys/jeep truck pics request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by len_m, Dec 17, 2009.

1. turdytoo

turdytoo

I remember seeing "The Barn Job" (fuel burning Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle) run at Lions Drag strip. They fired that thing by holding onto the doorpost/b pillar of a Willys/Jeep wagon heading up the dragstrip to get enough speed to fire it. Anybody got that pic?

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I fell in love with them in the 50s when it seemed like every gas station in the area had one with a plow for pushing snow back then.

I traded a 36 Ford P/U for a 53 Willys P/U. It had 4.88 gears and a flat 4. It couldn't get over 50 MPH without fear of grenading. I bought a rusty low mileage 75 3/4 ton Suburban for less than the two gear sets would cost. I shortened the frame 11" and moved the engine and trans forward. I mounted the body and bed on the new chassis and drove the wheels off of it. It would go anywhere. The best tow vehicle I ever drove with that short wheelbase. I could back a trailer into any small hole.

It was a real Teddy Roosevelt (rough riding son of a bitch.) with the original 3/4 ton suburban springs.

A work horse that I look back on fondly.

3. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

didn't know this post was going this far huh? i've got a 1963 pickup with the 6 230 overhead cam engine, looks just the green one at top of post. thats what got me started rebuilding waterpumps (couldn't buy one). well you the rest of the story,one by one, a 1948 a 1949 a1951 a 1957 fc followed me home . all pickups! talk about bad habits.

4. dvs

dvs

Here's mine. 1950 Willys Overland titled as a '51. Buick 225 V6. Tilt and telescoping wheel out of a Caddy. Original axles, tranny, transfer case, and 3rd member.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

rocnrol, I've seen you over at the CJ2A page. Love your Jeep/Truck.

Mike

6. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

Thanks Mike.....you do 2A's too or just interested in 'em?

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

rocnrol, I have a CJ3A.

Attached Files:

8. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

......Nice.......