Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earl Ford ranger F100 steering box issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shane72_383, Jan 17, 2010.

1. shane72_383

shane72_383
    from Kansas

So I have an early 70's Ford ranger or f100 steering box that I reversed for my cowl steering setup. The issue i've ran into is that it doesn't seem like it turns very far? The pitman side makes maybe a half turn lock to lock, and that doesn't seem like enough? If anyone knows if there is anyway to adjust this or if that s all the farther it goes I would appreciate the input. Thanks guys

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How many turns does it make at the input (steering shaft)? Steering boxes have a 'ratio', typically in the range of 12 to 1 and as high as 16 to 1. Meaning that you will turn the steering wheel a lot more than the pitman arm moves. Nor does the pitman have to move a lot to do it's job.

If the box is installed, pitman arm straight down, it will only move maybe 45 degrees max in either direction from center (that's 90 degrees total). The drag link connects to the steering arm and if it moves the same 45 degrees or so, so do the wheels.

Ray

3. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

are there any good pages on reversing boxes? everytime i search they wana sell me one. id like to learn how you do it