Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Eagle cast cranks any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, May 26, 2020.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So I’m looking at a Eagle stroker crank from Butler performance for my Pontiac and I wondering if anyone had had any experience with them good or bad? The price is good but sometimes you get what you pay also! Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m sure they would meet someone’s specs. I prefer SCAT to Eagle. If it’s a stocker/cruiser you probably can’t go wrong as long as it’s a reputable dealer you could return after you check it out. We used one Eagle steel in a dirt track engine and it was perfect. Sold it to get more stroke..

mgtstumpy, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ran an Eagle crank and rods in my old Plymouth Gasser. It was forged ,but I put over 500 passes on it with no bearing wear.
    eagle cranks are just a little rougher looking than a Scat but their cast cranks work well. I have installed a bunch of them in 383 Chevy builds. They seem to balance out well.
    Butler sells good stuff and they should stand behind anything they sell.

Baumi, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.

5. sdluck

sdluck

Butler has a pretty good reputation .

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Cast steel is fine for street use and the occasional drag racing.
    But if you plan on beating on it or doing any kind of open track events, extended high load/rpm pulls, then I would suggest you opt for the forged steel.

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you! That helps. It’s for the 60 Catalina. It is street car but I do plan on running it. You all answered my question. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Callies for me.

1934coupe likes this.
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I did not find a listing for a Pontic crank on Callies website. But yes they are nice. I have a dragon slayer 350 Chevy crank and it is very nice!

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

You planning on running that through a Jetway or expensive TH adapter? I so, look for a later model 455. If it's a stick, never mind.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Early eagle cranks were not balanced very well. A 383 Chevy crank A got required Mallory to balance.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

And Mallory ant cheap. I had heard that before which was one of my reasons for posting but it looks like they are better now.

14. badvolvo

badvolvo

Eagle / Skat debate. My machinist says, they are about the same. He has had better luck with balancing the Eagle on big " big blocks. I have a skat cast steel in my 377" sbc, it's drag raced and sees 6500 on every pass. No issues and balanced well. I went with the eagle forged on my 632" bbc, again, balanced well and no issues, it sees 7000+.

I got a call from said machinist yesterday, a guy I sold a car to, brought the engine in for rebuild after blowing it up with NOS. The 406" was built over 20 years ago, with a stock crankshaft. It lived 20+ years making close to 600 hp. The stock crankshaft was still within spec. This time they are building it for NOS. Just pointing out that stock crankshaft held up extremely well, considering 7000 rpm and 20 years of abuse. It is getting upgraded this time.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That is a pretty good “track record!”

badvolvo likes this.
  16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah with butler's reputation if he sells it on their site I'd have no problem running it.

If its something I was going to beat on a bit in that heavy car I'd call butler and ask their advice.

Did that with a Pontiac 428 and Bill Miller aluminum rods, wanted to know how safe for the street and rpm limit.
    Called asked the questions, got my answers. Told me no problem on the street and pontiac heads couldn't breath high enuff to hurt their rods. I asked if that was guaranteed and he laughed and said " I'm Bill Miller and this is my company, if you hurt my rods, send em back and I'll buy you a whole new motor", i ordered the rods right there.

Budget36 likes this.