Register now to get rid of these ads!

E Wheelers, I need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dusty, Sep 6, 2003.

1. dusty

dusty

Started to play with some dash ideas today so drug out the wheel and went to town. What I ended up with instead of a dash is some steel with many little ridges in it like it was done in a sheet metal brake. What am I doing wrong. Oh, I tried the different radiuses and get the same thing. Thanks,dusty

2. Possible answers:#1Lower wheel too small.Always use the largest possible lower wheel for the shape you are making.#2 Too much pressure,will put ridges in the panel rather than smoothly stretching.#3Tracking incorrectly.Each pass needs to slightly overlap.#4Lower wheels not exactly the right shape.Where did you get your lower wheels?Sounds like the transition from the flat to the radius needs to be softened.You should not be able to feel the transition from the flat to the rad.Check out: Metalshapers board for more metalshaping info.

3. Shiva69

Shiva69

Couple questions Ian.

1. did you ever come up w/ a design on a air powered helve hammer?

2. how well will the english wheel on RRT work for forming sheet metal? I am currently getting ready to make one but was wondering if i shoult try to make a bigger one.

3. Do you know if metalmeet.com will be arround a while and take over from the yahoo forum?

Thanks
    Garth

4. [ QUOTE ]
    1. did you ever come up w/ a design on a air powered helve hammer?

[/ QUOTE ] Jim Bailie recently wowed us with his new air powered Helve hammer,using an air drill for power.This idea solves a couple design problems I had,and I will modify my design as soon as I finish the pneumatic planisher I am working on. [ QUOTE ]
    2. how well will the english wheel on RRT work for forming sheet metal? I am currently getting ready to make one but was wondering if i shoult try to make a bigger one.

[/ QUOTE ] It will work,but it is very basic.And the price is right.A larger,stiffer frame,with an assortment of lower anvils would be more versitile.Also take up more space,and cost alot more.More E-wheel ideas in the alblums on metalshapers.org [ QUOTE ]
    3. Do you know if metalmeet.com will be arround a while and take over from the yahoo forum?

[/ QUOTE ] No idea.Things can change pretty quickly sometimes.

5. Shiva69

Shiva69

Thanks for the help. I read ron covells tidbit in classic trucks about english wheels so i think i'll make the small one for the time being and hopefully enjoy it enough to make a bigger one.

Dont forget to share you wonderful tools w/ the rest the boys

Thanks unklian

garth

6. dusty

dusty

Thanks for the thoughts Unkl.Dad did the anvils for me using the info from a book I picked up on egay. Will try lightening up on the tension first.

7. The width of the flat should be approximately .075 times the radius.And the transition needs to blend smoothly.I hope you got John Glover's book,I need to order it.Start out with a fresh piece of steel and the largest radius wheel you have,see what happens.

8. Have you got a completely flat lower wheel?You should.Put it in and raise it until it almost touches the upper wheel.The gap should be even from side to side,or maybe just a touch tighter on the outside.If the lower wheek is at an angle to the upper wheel,that won't help.

9. Killer

Killer

Dusty.

check the alignment btween the upper wheel and the anvil. If it's not right, no matter what anvil you use, it'll leave ridges.

10. Shiva69

Shiva69

You may want to radius the corners of you dies so that they aren't sharp... if you have done that just ignore me.

here is a pic to show what i mean

Garth

Attached Files:

11. dusty

dusty

Thanks for the addiotional thoughts guys. The lower wheel was aligned when I built it. The radiuses do have sharp corners so that might be worth a look. Had to do the grandfather thing today so didnt get to the garage at all today.