Register now to get rid of these ads!

E.M.S. Fender patch follow up;

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pist-n-Broke, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Just so you know I'm working on a 57 Ford car lower front fender (actually both sides). I bought the patch panels from E.M.S. They arrived last Friday. I've learned not to expect a lot and Hope for pieces I can Make work. I was told about the reveile line not matching up well and probably a little wider than stock over all. Didn't sound out of line for aftermarket parts. E.M.S. is also a vendor here on the H.A.M.B. They posted on the previous thread and showed a photo of there pieces. The photo's of my fender has the patch piece sitting above the needed repair. Minor as it looks it's pretty weak. As you can see in the picture the reveile is non existant, not just out of place. Also as warned it is wider by 3/8" of my personal fender. That may not be the case if you lined up 10 fenders. I think they will all very some in places.The fender edge of the patch is Rolled not a Fold for a nice Crisp line but I'll fix that when I narrow it up. The other piece that comes with it is the inner brace patch. It has a few issues also in that the Arch top to bottom is no where near the factory lines. This causes problems mating to the leading edge of the Door and Rocker. The 2 pieces from E.M.S. do not match together on the pinch weld.
    This is my own Personal car so I don't get a lot of time on it since I do this 8 to 5 daily. I knew it would not be a perfect piece but over all I'm ahead of things by starting with what I got. A little Talent and Time and this will be a metal finish repair. We should all be thankful that E.M.S. will make us the products to get started with.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It is beyond my comprehension that anyone would offer such merchandise to the market, but this the US of A, where money talks and quality walks, so I'll get used to it... NEVER.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm not seeing where that patch will help much to fix the outer part of the fender. looks like some flat sheet would have worked just as well by the time you have to adjust the patch you paid for.

4. redhumphries

redhumphries

the patch looks more like it is for a 55 or 56 instead of a 57 I could be wrong I have the tail piece for a 55 at my shop from EMS and it is truly neat, looks good and lines up well. check with ems and see if you have the right piece. hope this helps RED

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I also got my L/R quarter patch and is damn nice too . VERY good material and strong !
    I believe you might have the wrong part . EMS has very good , well fitting parts . Maybe just my luck ! :D

6. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Luck is right !!!!
    would you buy me a lottery ticket ?

7. This aria of the Fender is far from Flat. What your looking at in my Photo is where some Butcher beat the fender in and laid a piece on top and welded it up. It had over 1/2" of Bodyman in a Can over the top. Yes I could have hand built it. Trying to save time and $$$ was the reason for buying them. Would I do it again? Probably not. In there defense I have installed all 4 rear Quarter pieces on a 57 Ranchero and that worked out pretty good considering. Those were from Made-Right in 1990. I suspect it's the same Co. since they are both in Cleveland Ohio and my New pieces have a Made-Right by E.M.S. label on them.
    Education cost's Money.
    The Wizzard

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

the body line on the lower fender of the 57 ford is pain in the @%&* for us. we have made some adjustments to the tooling but the oem detail is a kind of soft body line (not very crisp) and difficult to duplicate , we had it much sharper in the begining and had complaints so we made it a softer line, complaints did not go down. difficult to win this one. comments and photo's are welcome

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

fyi: the orginal made rite company 1938 to 2004 is not asscoiated with the ems company, we aquired some of there trademarks after they closed.

10. I was just told about Street Rodder covering this same repair and asked if I was the one doing the work. It mentioned the same issues. It was not my project they covered but same issues. Both my fenders are done now inside brace and fender skin. As far as the detail line being tough to get right I understand. Maybe the thing to do would be to forclose the issue so future customers know about it. Had I known it didn't exist at all I would have made my own from scratch since I have that abilty. On the other hand not everyone cares about metal perfict and they will be happy to use it as is.
    Education costs money and this was just another lesson.
    The Wizzard

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

That swage line in that area of the part would be a tough one to pull off without a double strike- first the swage line would be struck and held, than the lower stirt and flanges formed by a stretching action over the male die.
    If the part were just pressed, I'd think a very weak line and shape would result, even in drawing quality steel. Perhaps a beading/swaging die in a roller could be used to tighten up the line. Soft lines like that are always a bitch, given they are not hard struck and held.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion !"

12. evilone0528

evilone0528

So you are ahead of the game buy making that piece work?

13. Just so you know. The Line referred to is also the place where the skin changes from Concave to Convex. It's just the definition line between the two. The patch is all one big bulge outward. Had I hand made this patch it would have been done in 2 parts and the line would have been the weld seam of the two parts. It's also a very soft line, not a Crisp edge.
    The Wizzard