Register now to get rid of these ads!

E & J headlamp question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltflatwilly, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tuki

tuki

those are in amazing shape..i saw the set at Carlisle for 1200 too..yours have to be worth way more than that.they were no where near the shape of the ones you found

2. alsancle

alsancle

yes.

3. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Hey Kirk, you are right there they were just like you said they might be!

Here are some pictures of all the directions incase anyone else needs to use them.

Attached Files:

4. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Harms Way- What do you know about the red writing inside the light housing (see pictures) F.Mack 1 and the other side said F.Mack 2 ???

Attached Files:

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Of the 3 pair I had from Frank, I never took them apart,... Frank did like to print,... but I don't ever remember him putting his name on parts like this before,.... With that said, it's not outside the realm of possibilities that Frank did do something like that.

Where and who exactly did you get these from?,.... do you know anything about them ?,.... Like I said, I sold all 3 pair, one pair is accounted for, because a good friend still has them, I remember a little about the other 2 guys that bought the other pairs. They could possibly be one of the other two pair.

6. The reppped ones used a small sealed beam light.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There was a pair at the swap meet here a few years ago. The guy didn't know what he had and was asking $100. Donzie on here was looking for some and I told him he had better get over there and buy them. Don (Donzie), being the cheap dude that he is asked the guy what the least he would take for them. the guy shot back "$70", Don countered with $50. The man said $60 and that's as low as I'll go. Don couldn't get his money out fast enough as a guy next to him was reaching for his wallet.
    I converted them for him to dual beam snowmobile lights and he had them on his '29 tub for about a year. Fast forward and Don is looking to sell his tub. The prospective new owner doesn't like the E&J's and ask Don if he had anything to trade for them. I traded Don a '32 grille and shell for them that I paid $50 for the previous spring. The guy was happy and so was I. If I had any talent I would try for a clone of Frank Mack's roadster as I think that would be the perfect home for them.

Frank

8. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

i don't remember his name. He said he was selling them for an old friend that gave him them to take to Carlisle this spring where I bought them. He did say they came off an old magazine car and that is all I remember.

9. i like um, i'm looking for a 100 pair also. haha, no seriously people

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There was a set at the swap meet here a few years ago. The guy didn't know what he had and was asking $100. Donzie her on the HAMB wanted a pair for his '29 tub. I told him he had better get over there and buy them. Don (Donzie) being the cheap guy that he is asked if he would take any less for them. The guy said $70, Don shot back $50. The man said $60 was as low as he would go. Don couldn't get his wallet out fast enough as the guy standing next to him was about to say he would take them.
    I converted them for him to dual beam snowmobile bulbs and he ran them on his tub for about a year. Don was looking to sell his tub about then and a prospective buyer didn't like the E&J's and wanted to know if Don had anything else he would trade for them. I traded Don a '32 grille and shell I paid $50 for the previous spring. Don was happy............I was happier.
    If I had any talent I'd do a clone of the Mack T and use them as I think that car is far and above the best application I've seen them used on.

Frank

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Saltflatwille,
    These are very easy to make work with a modern H-4 Halogen, 90 degree angled plug and standard bulb from Auto zone..for $6. I'm going to do a tech article soon..but if you want the info now..send me a PM and I'll help you out. Takes about 15 min with no cutting or welding (inside retainer plates are brass), and you use the original glass lenses and silver reflectors inside. The snowmobile light method works...but you're better off using the nice original glass lenses since you have them.

12. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Those intructions are cool, unfortuanately I didn't get those in the pair I recently restored. Here are a couple pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TV

TV

I can show you a set of re-pops made by the owner of the name and you can't tell them from the Originals. The only thing that is different, is the lens is not blue. I compared to my originals and they are spot on. They come from Long Beach Cal.--TV

14. Nice stand. Did you buy them to put on a car or just to display?

15. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Thanks, I got tired of looking for a place to put them where they wouldn't get damaged. I haven't decided yet, I may sell them.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Here are mine that look like E&Js...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Wow, they shine nice. How did you get that finish?

18. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

A ton of polishing with sand paper, then compound, and polish with a high speed buffing wheel. Then I had a guy nearby ceramic clear coat (cold cured) them to keep the shine from tarnishing.

19. 31whitey

31whitey

Zephyr....great job man...

I would like to acheive this look for a pair of mine...

could you elaborate a bit man...

how did you innitially strip them?....

What grit paper did you start and finish with?

compounds?...

beautiful work Zephyr...

20. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Thanks, depending on how deep the pitting is I usually start with about 150-320grit (which will strip them just fine) on the orbitial sander and end a 400grit with the orbital sander. You just have to be careful not to put any flat spots in the round casing with the orbital.

I then went from 600grit all the way up to 200grit by hand. This alone gets a very nice shine, but still a bit dull. I then get a compound (any aluminum or metals compound will work) and use a high speed buffing wheel on a die grinder or bench grinder (be careful not to overheat the metal and cause discoloring or warpage) and begin to polish out those tiny scratches which dull the aluminums shine. Once that is done I use a polish/sealer to keep the shine and give it a nice luster.

Hope this helps you get you E&J lights looking like mine. Be warned though, this was at least 15-20 hours of work for me.

21. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Here is a scan of the Instructions for E & J headlights.

Attached Files: