Register now to get rid of these ads!

E-Brake, what style are YOU runnin'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Trying to get some ideas for my '33 Plymouth coupe, and want to run an old style emergency brake. Show us what you run in your tradational car or truck. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and even some tech information on the best way of mounting an hooking them up.:rolleyes: :confused: :D

2. yekoms

yekoms

I'm usin' a '55 T Bird hand brake in the coupe. It's on the right hand side of the column with the handle turned upside down. It took a bunch of fabricatin' to get the leverage correct. I used custom cables from Control Cable Inc.
    Smokey

3. Sounds interesting.

4. This 1 is cheap, simple, and works real well.:D:D:D
    1 problem though, findin brick fluid is gettin really tough.

Attached Files:

5. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

I'm using an emergency brake out of a Diamond T in my Model A project.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      261.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      246.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      324.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Thats funny da34guy, I've been using an old trophy but have decided to step it up a notch. HAHAHA!

7. robleticia

robleticia

Im trying to figure out what to use in my 51. I took the dash mounted brake out as it went through the firewall and was in the way of everything. I would like to find a floor mount of some kind that still looks somewhat traditional. If there is such a thing???

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a handle from a GMC Advanced Design dump truck, hanging off the side of the shifter of the T56 in my Model A. I made up a mount and cable bracket that is a near duplicate of the Lokar one. The ratchet teeth and pawl are from the old lever.

9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Lokar handles and universal line kits when applicable.

10. I will be running a '33 - '34 Ford hand brake in my Model A, will be mounting it near the shifter like Fords originally had with a custom bracket.

11. darkk

darkk

I don't have one on my coupe,it's an old racecar converted for street use. My next ride will have one of those fancy manual disc brake setups that bolt onto the rear end yoke.

12. I like the ones with the lever an rod hanging off the e-brake, i think they were in 40s trucks. This type : :rolleyes::confused:

Attached Files:

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

You didn't mention what rear brake setup you're using..... I found the 8.8"Ford item from 2000 2wd Explorer to be just right. They usually leave the cables on them at the wrecking yard,...which can be connected via custom made cable(s) to just about any handle you like. Happy Roddin' !!!

4TTRUK

14. Oh yea, thanks 40FordGuy, I'm running a '69 Ford 9", cable ready.

15. 29pu

29pu

BigO. that looks like a Model T hand brake lever.

16. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Heres mine from a rover 90 [​IMG]

17. Any other pics or ideas ?

18. Snarl

Snarl

You could just reuse the stock '33 plymouth handle...

I'll be using a hand brake from a '55-59 Chevy truck that I'm going to mount under the dash in my '33 Plymouth sedan...

19. Don't have the stock brake handle, so I thought I'd see what others were using that was cool an different.

20. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I am presently building a set up with Model A / 32 style handle on a custom frame bracket. Probably be finished and have pics by this weekend. Basicaly it is similer to how stock Model A was built. Lever pulls on a cross chassis rod that pulls on mechcanical rods on each side to the brakes. I have 9 inch rear brakes with cables also. Kind of elaborate but that is how I do stuff. I tend to overbuild. More to follow later when I am finished

21. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I like your coupe

22. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's good to see that you're doing an E-brake. It's a must as far as I'm concerned & I never get out of my manual trans hot rod without setting the E-brake.

Making a custom set-up isn't the easiest & fun thing, but it can be properly pieced together with stuff from the junkyard. I do like the look of the old brake handles, but I ended up using a (GASP!) Toyota handle, which is one of the few set-ups I could find that mounts on a flat floor. It has worked out very well. There's a flange around it with bolt holes on the four corners which makes it clean & easy to mount. I mounted it on the passenger floor panel next to the trans hump. It also has slack adjustment capability from the top, so you don't have to get underneath to do it. I had to take up some slack once already, so it is something to consider. From there I think I used some bits & pieces & flexible conduits from a Ford Taurus back to the 9" Ford drum brakes. I used standard cable from Home Depot & made my own ends with those little crimp-on aluminum thingies. I did have to buy the manual crimping tool, which I think was about $27. I also welded some aluminum blobs on the ends for more holding strength.

It's been over a year & nothing has failed.

23. On the cables,
    I have had good luck brazing a ball on the end of the cable after a couple go arounds with crimped alluminum pieces coming loose.

I modified a 32 brake handle to my 8" in a Model A.

24. 1935olds

1935olds

I am running the stock E-brake lever on my 35 Olds with a Locar universal cable kit and running a 56 Olds rearend.

25. I need to see what the orginal '33 Ply handle looked like. Off to Google I go...

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am using the original E brake handle in my 37 Chevy p/u with a bracket I made to mount it to the T-5 along with Lokars 74 to 53 Chevy truck cables hooked to a 8 inch.

Attached Files:

27. Couldn't find any pics of what a '33 Ply eBrake looked like, I'll probably look for the Model T type I pictured earlier. Any other ideas folks ?

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am hoping to use an early jag e-brake lever I found. It was mounted between the drivers side seat and the door.
    I figure it may take a little fabricating to get it working right, but should look in place.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011