Register now to get rid of these ads!

E- brake cable routing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dusty, Jan 4, 2004.

1. dusty

dusty

On my 29 coupe with a 5" channel, the emergency brake cable ends up slightly above the lower body line, not to metion the locdation at full jounce. Any ideas on how to overcome this? Thought about running it along the inside lower rear hairpin but dont know what to run it in. What say you?? Thanks, dusty

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont know exactly what to call it but use an idler pulley?

3. I've had cable routing problems befor. I've taken 3/8 hydralic tubing and bent and formed it to what I need and weld hangers to it. Then run the cable inside and never had a problem.
    The Wizzard

4. Forgot to tell you. Flare the ends to keep the cable from draging over the edge and fraying them.

5. dusty

dusty

Did you run the tubing along the bottom body line or follow the rear end components?

6. Dusty; There are many ways to do this. Not knowing what any of your componets are or where or what type of handle your using I'm hesitant to tell you exactly how I'd do it. I try to run my cables the shortest and most direct route possible. As with all things under tension they will seek the shortest route. If you'd like some one on one coaching P.M. me with a list of your componets. Something to know. Just because I tell you how I'd do it dosen't mean it's the only way or even the right way.
    The Wizzard

7. DrJ

DrJ

Most "modern" rear ends have the Pbrake cables in housings that fasten to the frame by way of brackets that allow for movement of the rear end without pulling the cables, like the throttle and clutch cables on a motorcycle handlebar.
    As long as the housing doesn't fully extend during "bounce" there shouldn't be any cable pulling because of it.
    But then you didn't say what kind of rear end you are using...

8. dusty

dusty

Im using a 40's banjo with home made hairpins. Playing with a late model handle but dont have it cut in yet.Also have a set of late model cables that I thought might work and help with the alignment problem because thet have an external housing.