Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods E brake: be nice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Aug 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Hey all,

Just finishing up and ready to set up my e brake. Since I have a spooled rear, couldn't I lock one wheel? In other words, one cable to handle instead of 2? I ask because I have such little space on the left side of the frame (battery box, pan-hard, driveshaft loop- etc).

I know I am gonna get the hack and cheap comments, but I think its a legit question.

Pork

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. mustangsix

mustangsix

You could do that. You could also put a brake on the driveshaft.

3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

The only thing at question I would say is a broken axle, otherwise I'd say why not..

Hnstray likes this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Won't have the stopping or holding power of two brakes.

Hnstray likes this.

5. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Couldn't use it in an emergency, would probably cause an exciting spin.

6. squirrel

squirrel

shouldn't cause a spin (compared to having two brakes), because the rear wheels will both get the same (small amount of) braking action, because the spool locks the wheels together.

Lotsa guys don't bother with the e brake at all, so you'd be better off than them. But most guys who do install it, do both wheels, so you won't be as well off as them.

shawnsauto1 and porkchop4464 like this.
  7. aaggie

aaggie

Better than nothing. In Texas they require the E-brake to pass the state inspection. They recently changed the process so you have to have the vehicle inspected and if it passes they give you a letter to hand over to the DMV when you renew your plates. No pass, no plates.
    I am seeing more TH400s from trucks and motor homes being used as cores since they have a drum parking brake on the tailshaft. Solves a few problems.

porkchop4464 likes this.
  8. As a "parking" brake I'd say OK. As an "emergency" brake, I'm not quite so sure... :oops::confused:

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Seems like I've seen sprint or midget circle track rears with only a single brake, mounted inboard on an open tube axle rear.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Are you planning on this single brake stopping the car in an emergency? Give it a try and see if it works. I bet it doesn't. I bet it also won't hold the car when parked on an incline.

11. Use a pulley system to get around your battery box and etc.

porkchop4464 likes this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good question given the use of a spool, and well,answered. But another question comes to mind....curious why you are using a spool on a (presumably) street driven vehicle? That in itself creates it's own set of handling quirks and drive line stresses.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    X38 likes this.
  13. You could always use a hydraulic parking brake that is spliced into the brake line that goes to your rear brakes, locking both wheels and saving you a little room. I've used them of few times on some off road vehicles I have built and have had good luck with them.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Because if he's using the emergency brake his hydraulic system is probably compromised or he'd be using the normal brakes ;)

porkchop4464 likes this.
  15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If your only going to run one e brake, install it on the drive shaft flange. Mopar used a drive shaft e brake drum for emergency and as a parking brake for years. If you mount a big enough one on the rear axle input shaft, it will stop & hold, or the rear axle assembly will be broken.
    A spool is going to suck for driving on the street. Gene

porkchop4464 likes this.
  16. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

50 dollar posi. I know it will be a bear to drive, but it's a hot rod that will go out once a weekend with historical plates

17. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I have a single pot for brakes and clutch (IH master 61) so if a line goes, I need an "oh shit" stick

18. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Probably will. Gonna take on her maiden voyage without e-brake. and just take some more time to figure out this setup

19. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Johnnyboy34 offered this http://www.controlcables.com/ and there is Lokar as well. I am just gonna order a kit and take it from there. All my lines are brand new and over clamped (although I did do all the flares on the car- 4 total).

20. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Vintage plates no sticker but only parade, repair , car show or checking repairs.