Register now to get rid of these ads!

e-bay dilema

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Feb 27, 2007.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

After reading wheelkids post about his e-bay snafu, I decided to ask my fellow hamb ers what they would do in my shoes. I found a nailhead marine timing cover on e-bay. The pic was poor but it looked like a small portion was broke off and missing. I asked him if the part was "broken" . He replied "no it is not "broken". I was the only bidder and won the auction (probably due to the high starting bid on this so called not broken part. I get the part and its obvious that someone "cut" the corner off with a hacksaw. I email the seller with my dissaproval and he states that "well it was not broken , just cut and you never asked that". This part is useable and I can clean it up to look fine but the sellers auction states no refunds and items bought as is, so A partial refund is not going to happen. Will ebay get me a partial refund or all I can do is leave negative feedback? This dickhead did offer to relist the part for me, but I was the only bidder the last time. What would you do?

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

A seller needs to provide clear pictures and the part is broken.

Did you use Paypal? If so I would try and go that route saying it was "significantly not as described". Save the email where he states that he knew it had been cut up.

You may have to return the item first and if so, go ahead but get delivery confirmation.

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

You know I never been screwed on Ebay ,and I don't think I have ever screwed anyone. BUT I only bid on about half of the things I want. If I am not 100% sure of what I am getting and everthing else with the deal I back away. I almost always ask for the persons phone # and call him and talk to him. I always check feedback . I will ask for more pictures and more specific pictures if I am unsure.I try to cover myself every way possible.
    I would leave critical honest feedback for him,and chaulk it up as experience.

4. leadsled01

leadsled01

5. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Its possible that the seller didnt know anything about what he was selling. A modification is different than being broken. An offer to relist is good on his part but for an unstatisfied buyer, a full refund in in order. Make it clear to him that HE made the mistake, and request a refund. Most sellers will chose this over getting bad feedback. Remember he can leave bad feedback for you as well. Not always worth it.

Or on the other hand he could have been trying to hide the damage/modification in order to get more money. In this case file a dispute thru Ebay and Paypal. Its hard to say without seeing the auction myself.
    Post up the auction link>>>>>>>

6. leadsled01

leadsled01

The seller deals in speed parts only. I can't figure out how to post a link.

7. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

I think of ebay as a necessary evil. I don't like ebay, but I buy probably about 10 parts a year on ebay. I save most of my money for swap meets. At a swap meet at least you can put your hands on the part, and that means a lot.;)

8. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Go to the ebay page with the item description. Highlight the address on top in your address block. Right click, and scroll down to copy. Then jump back on here, and go down to the quick reply spot, right click and paste it. It will automatically post as a link.

ROB

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

11. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Sorry Dude .............
    IT said ---AS IS AND NO RETURN AND NO REFUND.....
    LIVE AND LEARN.....
    I hate EGOBAY.............

12. leadsled01

leadsled01

Thanks for the link and all your responses! I'm going to try and get a partial refund through e-bay. If it doesn't work I will only get bad feedback so what the hell. Thanks again.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I don't believe this seller has wronged you.

The part was modified, and he may not have even realized that it was not originally cut that that way from the manufacturer. You noticed it in the picture. You asked if it was broken and he said no. This was a true answer. If he knew it had been modified, he should have mentioned that in the reply to you, but I don't think that he was under any obligation to do so. The auction makes it more than clear that there are no refunds, and the modification is clear enough in the photos that you saw it and asked a question about it. I don't think you have a leg to stand on, and I believe that negative feedback would be entirely inappropriate. The part you received does not vary from its description in the auction, and the pictures clearly showed the modification.

EDIT: Read the seller's feedback. He's had 2086 people leave feedback for him, and only 4 were negative, and all of those four negatives were older than a year ago. He's been on ebay since 1999. This guy has an established positive record. He is obviously not out to take people.

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I don't think there's anything you can do.

I do think this seller wasn't fully honest - for those who say he may not have known much about this part or realized it, go look at his other auctions - he sells old speed parts & not cheap stuff either. Read his feedback - all the negatives & neutrals appear to be similar to this - no outright lying in the auction, just a bit thrifty with the whole truth.

15. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Man your screwed, you just have to suck it up, ive been cheated on ebay so many times i could start a junk shop and ebay want do nothing about it, pay-pal doesn't ever fix nothing its always his word against yours. You pay your money and you take your chances!

16. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

As a seller on Ebay, I try to list all defects and obvious issues. IF it were me, I would file a dispute with this auction - regardless of whether or not the auctioned item was sold "As Is."

This sounds like the item was different than it was described, and eBay can rule in your favor. If you paid cash (or the equivalent), then your options may be limited. If ebay finds fraud in his salesmanship practices, they may terminate his account and all feedback goes away with it.

I've been burned this way too, which is why I struggle so hard to describe everything to the best of my ability - even giving more info than necessary.

The other thing is that once you go through the process with filing a Not As Described claim with eBay, you can still leave negative feedback. Even though eBay only gives you one line to do it with, you can respond/follow up to add additional comments at a later date. I got nailed on a pair of shoes for my daughter, and they were delivered to the wrong address. The seller only responded AFTER I filed the dispute, and gave the delivery confirmation number to the dispute console. Long story short, they won all disputes, but I left negative feedback. The neg feedback wound up getting me back my purchase price + shipping. I had to agree to withdraw the feedback rating, but I got my money back, and the feedback comments stayed in place, just the rating was removed.

17. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

No. If you read the auction description, you'll see the part was not different than the seller described. As noted by Flat Earnie, though, this seller typically does not fully describe his items. Even in his positive feedbacks, there are mentions of his scanty descriptions.

18. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Ouch... The photo says it all. If you talking about the part in the corner that looks like it was notched out for clerance............Thats what it looks like. Its pretty clear in the photo. Id say chalk it up to a learning experience. Pics speak more than words. I wouldnt wrong him with bad feedback.

19. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i only use paypal to pay for things from e-bay. that way i have some recourse. i once bought something and i only got part of it. the seller stated that he sent them all but had no tracking number or anything i filed a claim with paypal and i got my money back. it was 200 bucks.
    so ill never pay any other way.

20. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I have to agree that the pic clearly shows a cut corner,if you try to get money back you would be whipping a dead horse.
    Just for future reference ,those boat mounts are almost all cast the same and then cut to fit the application,not the other way around.Boat builders are like car builders they all do things a little bit different.I have never seen an older boat mount that hasn't been modified.

21. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

well first off i think if an item is good enough to keep its good enough to pay for. send it back for refund or keep and pay for the item. that guy is a fuckster. he sells and buys hot rod stuff all the time he knows what is what. mike

22. leadsled01

leadsled01

My last email from him and he admitted it was cut not broken, I replied then why didn't you disclose that when I asked if it was broken. He has not gotten back to me in over a week.. I just emailed him asking for a partial refund of $45..

23. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I had a very similar situation and this is what happened.

I found a CBR600 head I needed on Ebay from a place about an hour from me. so before I bid I called and asked about the condition.. is it good, I am putting this on a running bike does it have any defects? He said no. so I bought it, payed him and went to pick it up. He had it all wrapped up and there were a ton of customers and I was late for something else so I didn't look it over real good like I should have. I get home and really start too look at it and there were 2 poorly repaired cracks and an new one on the cover rail. I called him back asked If I could swap (it was a motorcycle junkyard in Ft. Worth) and he said no, sales are final blah blah blah.. then hung up. I reported him to the BBB, but never could get any money back. I left him bad feedback and immediately he left me bad feedback saying "I wasn't a good customer"

I hate to say it, but if you get any money back it will be long and painful through EBays process.

24. I may know a way to leave extensive feedback on eBay. Follow the link to see if you think it's doable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/allsteel29/Test-1.jpg

25. He was misleading you by omission. He didnt volunteer any info, and fully intended not to address anything unless asked about it.

I think its a chickenshit way to do business. But theres not much you can do. Leave him a neutral feedback specifically warning others about his practices.

26. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Just remember, every time you leave bad feedback on some jerk there going to whip one right back on you and hurt your score, so think if its worth it or not. As for as pay-pal helping people get money back i have bought two pricy items that i never recieved and to this day after putting in claims i have never seen a dime back!

27. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

After looking at the pic, why not just repair it and use it. Shouldn't take much to tig a new piece of aluminum where they cut it out. That way at least you can use it.

28. leadsled01

leadsled01

29. leadsled01

leadsled01

Its useable the way it is, just not what I paid top dollar for.

30. Check PMs