Register now to get rid of these ads!

E and J Headlights.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MannyK, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Does anyone know about reproduction E and J headlights. The real ones are like 1000 dollars! Who makes em and are they anygood? One name I've heard who makes them is Framedragger. Is he still making them, or am I gonna have to dish out a thousand bucks on headlights!

2. 117harv

117harv

3. uncle buck

uncle buck

Around here I don't think I've seen a set for less than $1500 in years. If you find a descent pair of originals for a grand , I would think thats a pretty good investment

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

5. Of course it was better with the pictures; but Kirk did a good job of explaining what he was doing. I don't think it would be too hard to follow his descriptions, if you wanted to do a set of these light shells.

6. Cool link. I might look into that. Thanks!

7. Total waste of money I think. BLC or Guide Marker Lights do it for me.

8. I don't know why I love em headlights so much... unique

9. I don't get it either, $1500 for ugly lights? Don't understand how they got to be so popular.

10. Flatmik

Flatmik
    from France

11. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

Stay away from the guy in El Paso, TX, very rough casting using mix pot alum.

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

To me, they are no help at all to the otherwise good looks of the car they're on.

13. The E & J headlights just don't float my boat.:rolleyes: HRP

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't know that I still have the photos, but I'm happy to answer any questions.

15. I am kind of with you here. Some cars look great with them while some that have them would, in my opinion, look better with another option. It's one of those details that has to just "fit", but I can't explain why. Well you know what "they" say about opinions. As long as the owner's happy that's all that really matters.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Some guys probably convince themselves that they look good. They're seeking individuality at all cost.

17. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

He wasn't asking for opinions, just looking for a source.

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Use the search function as there are a couple of threads with sources and photos.

19. Interesting variation ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381035104.221912.jpg

20. Sorry bt E&J headlights are ugly!

21. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Some guys get it and some guys don't. But, the original question wasn't about that, now was it?

22. After rebuilding a set and seeing how many internal parts that all work together as well as how the outer shells clamp together I don't know how easy it would be to reproduce the parts needed to make them work properly. Steve's restorations is your place for all the parts you will need if you get your hands on an original set. Love them or hate them, after dissecting a set you can not deny the incredible engineering that went into them back in the early 1920's.

23. Wow... What a theory.

24. Gotta remember,beauty is in the eye of the beer holder! :D HRP

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's just too bad because I agree, they are ugly. :D

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

I agree that they don't work everywhere and a lot of times guys seem to use them just to use them. I'm of course biased, but I think they worked here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although, these aren't E&Js, they're LaVey Crowleys.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 117harv

117harv

I have never seen so much disdain, boardering on hate for for an item before, except maybe a Pines Winter Front 32 grille:cool: They are just car parts people.

Ugly, really? Hardly, they are smooth, sleek, aero and graceful, yes, they don't work on all rides, but the same applies with numerous other vintage parts as well. I think they work better painted on a painted car, and raw with an aluminum body. Here are some examples that, IMO, look great, just as KIRK's example above:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  28. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ this, x 2. And they certainly are a conversation piece amongst all fans of cars. If you're into conformity and me-too parts, stay away from E&J's.