Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dying on acceleration - rebuilt Rochester BV, 230 Chevy straight six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Century, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Century

Century

Hi all,

I recently rebuilt my Rochester 1bbl in my '63 Chevy. All looks good, except it sometimes stalls when I accelerate from a stop. If it is idling, and I blip the throttle, it will stall as well. Engine temperature doesn't have an effect. It has also backfires through the carb under heavy acceleration.

The motor has been completely rebuilt by a competent shop a couple of years ago. Everything in the engine bay was new except for the carb.

I operated the throttle linkage by hand and saw fuel squirt (more of a flow than a squirt) out, telling me the accelerator pump (new) is good. I checked and set the timing per the shop manual as well.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. onthefritz

onthefritz

The accelerator pump should be a strong squirt. If it is just flowing out of the nozzle something is wrong. My best guess would be the check ball. Many rebuild kits come with different sizes for other applications, be sure the correct one was used.

3. starving for fuel, take a can of gas and attach a fuel line {with barbed fitting} to carb and see if things change. clamp off fuel line to fuel pump first before removing fuel line to carb.

4. More then likely your power valve is not adjusted to open soon enough...or is opening too soon. On most of my rebuilds I find that bending the arm up slightly will fix a off the line hesitation/stall. Check the PV return spring and the piston should move with NO binding. Double check you accelerator pump ball and nozzle openings as well^. Rick momojet.jpg

stillrunners likes this.