Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well, I've been swamped by projects that have two wheels lately!! I need to get back after the roadster as I have a ton of stuff to get done on it. Hopefully next week I should get he windshield installed and the lights working. I also have a few other things in the works for the intake and exhaust that I can't wait to get to!!
    Thanks for checking though as it does help light a fire under me!!

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've studied that pic as that's how I want my windshield on my 26. Bugsy, if you notice that just above the mounting area there looks to be a pie cut to get it to lean back a little more...

Oh, and, the Dust Bowl Spl. and a pic BigCheese327 showed me have inspired something similar which will be in my collection soon. I know, I know, I've got a stalled project (and others waiting in the wings) but I couldn't resist what's coming up - as I've wanted one ever since I started research prewar hotrods.

Anyway, back on topic, the Dust Bowl Spl. is pretty damn awesome. I'm psyched for you Bugsy.

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

Uh oh..... What did you buy? :D ..and what picture did BigCheese tempt you with?

Sorry, I'm enabling the hijacking of this thread.. :rolleyes:

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

A moredoor T and a complete A chassis. Perfect gow job material. That's all I'm saying, for now! :D

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Great thread, and awesome little roadster

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

...You DOG, you! :D you can't just drop a bomb like that and leave!

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Brent,
    You are right about the pie cut on the lower part of the stanchion. I never realized that until I did mine and saw that something wasn't 100% right. That'll be the next thing that i do to them. I'm a little leery about it though because i don't want to screw these up!! They are really nice posts but it won't look right until I do it!!!

Congrats on the newly acquired project!! That will be a good one!!!

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thank you!!! I appreciate that!!!!

9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So I received a really great package in the mail the other day from "Farmer", here on the HAMB. When I opend it up, I found this amazing, dash plaque, two water slide decals and a "Dust Bowl Special", CD mix!! The CD has great depression era tunes to keep me motivated out in the shop!!! All of this was wrapped in 1929, magazine ads of old auto parts!! Talk about something cool that was out of the blue!! He said that he just wanted to contribute to the "Dust Bowl". MAn....this is what makes this hobby and the HAMB so great. I've sure come into contact with some wonderful, like-minded folks over the years.

Farmer....I can't thank you enough and can't wait to put that plaque on...it's perfect and so appropriate!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Jim the Sweep likes this.
  10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's awesome, Farmer!

12. Awesome gift,
    even nicer gesture on Farmers part.

13. payin' it forward brother.....Lord knows I still got a ways to go to get the teeder todder to tip the other way, but i take every opportunity i can get! Besides, i'm gonna need a ride to Jay's (nosurf) when i fly out there to Kansas one day lol

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Listen,
    You not only have a ride, but another place to stay when you're here. Jay would just make you sleep on his shop couch and you'd have to cover up with barn cats!!!

Again....MUCHO appreciated, my friend!!

Bugsy

15. i love the smell of a shop and cat urine! i'm down!

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

Anytime brother.

I guess I don't notice the smell anymore....

17. jk...i remember my Papa had a small herd of feral farm cats at his farm in Kansas...they all used to live in the feed barn where all the dog, cat, chicken, rabbit, and hog feeds were stored, plus a bunch of hay bails....that place had the most awesome smell....like newborn litter of cats in a box smell.....you know what i mean? i loved it.

18. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

:DLess is More and your having fun! I approve, my Son picked up a 27 roadster recently, should be a fun build..

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

This car absolutely kills me. It's a similar platform I'll be running on both my 26s. Quick question for you, can you snap a photo of your column mount?

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Brent, I'll do it for you tomorrow as i don't have my camera here at the moment. It's a real simple deal though using an exhaust clamp some angle iron and just a bit of welding and grinding. I'm going to make a panel to cover all of it eventually. Here's a shot of it that's not real good but you can get the idea. I'll take some more detailed pics of it tomorrow for you.

[​IMG]

21. LostHope

LostHope

Exhaust clamp looks like it worked quite well dont know if i would have thought of that....just to easy... Hopefully all's well on your end, both of our threads seem to have come to a halt, any thing new?

22. I think it's time for a maiden voyage to Parsons. Grab your googles, gloves and boots. I'll feed ya when ya get here!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well....I think that you and I fell into the same abyss!! I haven't done a thing to the roadster in a month or more. I have a list though that needs to be tackled. it's more or less roadworthy but haven't taken it farther than around the block or so. I've been working on a harley and Triumph that both need to be sold to fund more on the roadster and pay the light bill! I'm really wanting to get my new, down-draft intake and exhaust on it along with the Mallory distributor. I need to get re-motivated!!!

Chris, I would love to come down there but that trip in the "Dust Bowl" might take a while!! Or...I might never make it!!! It is registered to make a pass or two at the HAMB Drags though, if you can believe that!! Hope there are some other, really slow, bangered powered cars there!! i'm kinda stoked about it though!!

24. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

It seems like it's been a hundred years since I've posted anything on my roadster but I'm finally getting back into the groove. She's finally tagged, titled and legal! I've been searching for several years now for a Whippet radiator that I can used with my '27 Whippet grille shell and I finally found one the other day that didn't break the bank! I'm pumped as it came with another shell as well. The radiator needs a bit of work but overall is pretty nice. I've always planned on running one of these as I think they look slick with a '27, T body. To me, this combo is one of the ultimate, pre-war dry lakes look. I can't wait to get crackin on it. Also, I've mounted my "Kansas Wheat Field Timing Assc.', dash plaque that "Farmer" was so kind to send me!! I'm pumped and will eventually stamp it with some details fof a timed run someday!! I LOVE this plaque and think it looks sweet!! Thanks again, "Farmer"!!!
    I'm also working on pie-cutting my windshield posts to lay it back a bit and have the top and bottom frames at the glass shop, getting the new glass! I have a few more things in the works for the "Dust Bowl spl." So more to come...hopefully soon!!!

The re-worked shell on the left is the one that I'm going to run and the shell and radiator on the right are my latest finds!!
    [​IMG]

Crummy pic of the plaque but I think it's the cat's ass....and so does FELIX!! My kiddos love Felix so he rides up front on the dash with them for now!!

[​IMG]

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Brent,
    you asked a while ago about seeing some more shots of the column drop that I did. Sorry for the horrible delay but between paying the bills working on motorcycles and coaching my little boy's baseball team, it's been a while since I've done anything with tthe roadster. Here you go!! As you can see, not fancy at all but worked well. Just a bit with the torch on the bottom lip of the dash. Some welding, grinding and drilling and there it is. It cost about $.79 to make and took all of 20 minutes. Ugly as sin but stout as hell (like the rest of the car). I'm going to make a better cover for it someday as my dash will get an entire facelift and gauges at some point.

[​IMG]

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Good score on the '27 Whippet radiator! :D

Hopefully it doesn't need to be re-cored..just boiled out and checked for leaks.

27. Model T1

Model T1

gow-jobs

I almost forgot that term. Probably means something like ratrod today.
    Love the rod. Funny, we see all those fancy expensive custom jobs and this is what most of us really enjoy! Keep playing with it and have fun.
    Makes me want my very first rod back, my 1931 Model A coupe.

28. Kume

Kume

Yes good score re whippet radiator. They have an interesting radiator core pattern (squares I think ?) rather than the common hex honeycomb fitted to most GM stuff from the 20s. I read somewhere they have good cooling ability due to large top tank. I have one I am also thinking of using on my 27 roadster but cant decide at mo as I still like the brass T surround.
    Keep us posted bugsy - loving this build.

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton, Thanks! Like I said, it took a while to get it. It is going to require a bit of work but hopefully not too much.

To me, the simpler, the better!! This one is simple because I'm trying to replicate a car from that era......and due to a lack of funds and ability!!

Kume, I appreciate it! It's been fun so far. I hope this radiator works out as it took a while to find it. I hope to be doing a bit more work now that the summer is slowing up for me now.