Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I have just got to build something along those lines,this car just screams drive me hard! :D HRP

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

My hood really didn't put up a fight. The model A radiator contour and the T radiator contour are almost the same....except the A is a bit more rounded. A few minutes manipulating it with my hand got it to fit perfect.

The cowl side of the A hood is exactly the same as a '26-7 T.

Jason.....very nice work as always my friend! I love the look of a hood on that car! :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I don't know how I didn't notice that you used an "A" hood, Clayton. I figured the A hood would be a good match....now I need to find one :)

As an aside; anyone notice the renewed interest in T's??? Especially gow-job and hot-iron era builds....maybe we need to look into a national T "gow" meet...looks like Jason has the race track :)

5. Indian

Indian
    from Sweden

The reason for the '28/'29 A hood on Mr Model T's car is the lowering technique he used on his T by moving the rear axle further back. Then to make the rear fender wells in the body match the wheels again, he moved the body 2" to the rear. Thanks to 'ol Henry, the A hood is exactly 2" longer than the T hood ;)

I'm using the same trick on my (slow) '27 T Roadster build, thanks Clayton for the inspiration :)

6. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Do it!!! This has been a fun and pretty easy build. Also, I don't have much in it and Ican rip it down dirt roads, through pastures or just about anywhere and you can't really hurt it!!

7. olskool34

olskool34

I was just thinking this the other day, there sure are alot of T builds going on right now and they are all very early styled cars. I would love to have a gathering of the gows! Mine will be ready hopefully by this spring.

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well...I've been half-ass planning something for a while and have come up with some different options. Years ago I thought that it would be fun to do a county fair style, dirt track "race" with old A and T jalopies....now, with all of us building pre-war style rides and with all the other cool events that are going on now, I'd say it's time to make it happen. Trying to find a time of year to pull it off that would work for most of us may be tough but I was thinking Spring or fall. I'm in Kansas....pretty centrally located!! :D

9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So I did a little trading with Gary (GWhite) the other day and this all showed up in the mail!! I cannot wait to get my Winfield head on and run these plugs! He also sent a pristine, low pressure, oil gauge, fuel pressure pump and the Cragar side cover!! All of these will be right at home on the roadster!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I also picked up this little, copper, velocity stack from Sacramento Speed Shop. Ryan did a write up on him (Andy) the other day and I thought the hand made stacks were really cool. The copper will match my fuel lines! He's a great guy, just out of the Army and is starting his own shop. He will be selling these through SOCal too....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also...I finally scored a decent pair of Delco-Lovejoy shock for the front of the roadster!! I love these and have always wanted to run some. I'm looking for the ones to run on the rear next but hopefully will get these up front soon. They are different than other friction shocks and I dig 'em! I also stumbled across an original, shipping box for them too!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Very cool. Can't wait to see them on the T!

12. That's a great batch of parts!
    This car just keeps getting better.

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I don't know how I missed this thread. Really like what your are doing with this roadster build. Great work!

14. I hate you now :)

Been looking for some lovejoys for mine grrrrr.....

15. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Great minds think alike!

I feel the same way every time I look at the Hardscrabble thread! You are always digging up cool shit!!!

16. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Nice parts pile there Bugsy! Headed over to the shop right now to work on the Special. Getting ready Portland Roadster Show. It will be her first outing since her meltdown. I like watching your thread, the Dust Bowl is looking great.

17. olskool34

olskool34

I actually have a set of lovejoys for the rear of mine too! I have no idea how I am going to mount them though because of how I pinched my frame rails in. Great batch of parts you got there Bugs!

18. Glad to see this up! One of my favorite builds.

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yes, it is almost a perfect match. The only place that doesn't fit quite right is the section between the radiator filler neck and the fist curve of the radiator shell the turns into the right or left leg of the shell. The T shell is flat, but the A hood is curved here. I flexed mine with my palm and got it to lay down and match the T shell in minutes.....and you can't tell I ever messed with it. If it was done profesionally....it would look amazing.

I have noticed the very same thing. I am glad to see a "Gow Job" revival. We DEFINATELY need a National "Gathering of the Gows" :D

You are exactly correct Indian :D I found another cool technique (after I built my car of course ). It lowered in the same fashion, but a second rear crossmember installed ahead of the original. This would have eliminated the additional length of the wheel base and the body relocation.....and the need for the Model A hood.

Honored to be an inspiration to others :)

I was gonna ask if you had had the time to get some measurments for your top so I can refine your drawings....

:D

20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Damn... This was already an awsome build, but these pieces are like icing on the cake. Can't wait to see all the new goodies installed!

21. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Cool stuff man looks like that'll fill up your weekend!
    TP

22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Exciting to see those Delco Lovejoy shocks. I am in the middle of restoring a set for my coupe. I am looking for 2 of the big springs that go behind the pistons. I think it is great you found some. Cant wait to see how you mount them. I am also jealous of your side cover!

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey Man! Glad to hear that The Special will be back in action!! I LOVE that build!! Hope you make it to the show and can't wait to see some shots of her there!!

Thanks, Bud! Yeah...I'm not 100% sure yet of exactly how I will mount these but have a couple ideas. The rear one, like you said, will be a bbit more tricky. If you figure something out...let me know!!

Thank you!! Have you been driving the pants off your truck?! Ever since you got it, it makes me REALLY want an A pickup. I dig the "around town" pics that you posted a while ago. That is such a sweet little ride!!

I just have to add these to the ultra long list of things I'm still wanting to do with this car! You know how it is....never ending!

Thanks Man!
    TP...like all of us, I could fill up 10 years worth of weekend and still no be finished with projects!:D

Very cool!! I still need the ones for the rear and will have to figure out how I want to mount them. The fronts shouldn't be too bad. I've seen a couple of different ways over the years. I think that they are cool as hell though!!

24. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks,Fellas!! I haven't done a whole lot with it for the past, couple of months and now with this new stash of parts, I feel a little more motivated to go freeze out in the shop afetr work!! I SO ready for spring!! Next year at this time, I hope to have a top on her and maybe even a heater! :D

25. I drove it pretty hard from febuary 2013 till middle of August. A little over 3000 miles. The engine had a pretty bad oil leak, so I took it apart. I haven't driven it since. Putting in a whole Winfield speeds part package, rebuilt engine. 39 trans, lowered it, juice brakes. Rebuilt the suspension and steering. It kinda turned into a case of the might as wells, it will probably be on the road at the end of the month or abouts as I just got the last parts I needed a week ago. Maybe sooner if I am lucky. Took me forever to find some of the little parts I needed but Its getting there. Im getting pretty excited to be driving it again, my 79 460 ford f250 supercab is pretty expensive to operate and huge for inner city Seattle. Thanks for the compliment!!

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

damn...29 pages in 3 hours...ready for a nap...neat heap Bugsy. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I was lucky in finding my set of shocks. back in the '60s my dad parted out a running gear for a '30 chevy while he has collecting parts for a restoration for his 4 door sedan. While I was digging through parts in the loft of the shop I came across a tray of frame pieces brake rods and suspension parts and I was lucky enough to have all 4 shocks just sitting there. Funny what you can find sitting in your garage. I am planning on mounting my set of shocks on the frame rails on the outside. The front one will attach to the spring perch like the original ford ones did and the rears I am planning on attaching to the lower radius rod mount at the backing plate. I may have to modify the arms on the shocks a bit to get them to line up correctly. The Filling Station offers a rebuild kit with new seals and gaskets along with new ends for the arms and new drain plugs.

28. As an aside; anyone notice the renewed interest in T's??? Especially gow-job and hot-iron era builds....maybe we need to look into a national T "gow" meet...looks like Jason has the race track :)

I'm a convert! I've always been into 50's/60's style rides, and was actually getting a little bored with the hobby. after accidentally discovering this car and the "hard scrabble" i'm hooked on Gow jobs. I'm bookmarking all the related threads now. Your T makes me giddy like a school girl- love it!

29. loving this build... keep it up

Jay

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Bondojunky

Every summer the museum of speed in Lincoln Nebraska has a several day long banger event. Lots of modified, how jobs and the like, I may have even Posted a link to video of it on the thread a long while back. I bet you'd dig it