Register now to get rid of these ads!

Duraspark II 351 Cleveland conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigjake, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Bigjake

Bigjake

I was wanting to know if anyone has done this conversion before. I know that the 351 C shared distributors with 351 and 400 M's, 429's, and 460's. I was wondering if you could just order a reman one from the parts store for a vehicle that has a good advance curve from factory. Problem is most of the vehicles I know of that had a DS II from factory are smoggers. Anyone know of a good donor vehicle to pull one or order one for and has anyone done this swap and have advice.

2. George

George

The C & W dizzys are the same except for the cam gear, just change em. Should be some decent junkyard choices.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have found the advance on the smogger big block distributors are not too bad as I have one on a 390 and a 460 (both from junkyard) and no excessive pinging,now on the small blocks its a different story as I got one for a 302 and a 351-w (both reman) and they ping excessively so they need to be recurved. There is someone who will custom build one for your specific motor but I need to find the info. www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

The duraspark II is actually a decent unit. In my opinion way better than the HEI. Here is some good reading about the distributor http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5543

BUT the one thing that I have found, is that parts store modules are not OEM quality. I always save the modules off of cars I part out, it just makes sense, I had a friend who went through several parts store modules, I gave him an oem one and he has not had a lick of trouble since.

5. Almost anything is better than an HEI :cool:
    You are also right about the quality of most of the cheapy parts store modules.

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I disassembled a points distributor and swapped the breaker plate for the duraspark plate. Had to grind a bigger slot for the wiring.

Although, if you take it down that far it would be just as easy to recurve the later distributor.