Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dupont /Axalta Centari paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Binkman

Binkman

I just heard that our local dealer for Centari is no longer selling it. I am about 1-2 quarts short of what I need for my car. Does anyone know of a dealer still selling it ?
    It is a national fleet color 5203A Cordoba Grey.
    Any leads appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Centauri hasn’t been available for years. Axalta/DuPont hasn’t made enamel in a long time

Hollywood-East likes this.
  3. Binkman

Binkman

I bought some Centari there 6 weeks ago, right before all this virus thing started.
    It looks like the store has now closed. Axalta still has a webite, I just need to find a dealer.

Hombre likes this.
  4. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

There are at least a dozen paint and body suppliers in my area. Try using your phone.

5. squirrel

squirrel

adding your location to your user profile will help folks help you.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I work for a paint dealer and we can no longer get enamel, Axalta no longer makes enamel, that’s what Centauri was.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    K13 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  7. Hombre and alanp561 like this.
  8. Just ordered some black Centari (on line) maybe a month or so ago; looked like fresh stock to me.

Hombre and alanp561 like this.
  9. Binkman

Binkman

Great idea, thank you
    Axalta Centari code 5203A National Fleet Color Cordoba Grey (1934 Ford Color)

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, you're in California. I expect things are different out there. Last time I needed some acrylic enamel, I got it from my local paint supplier, which is an Axalta dealer. I live the next state over, where we can get things still.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Centari...good s**t right behind Imron....

Driver50x likes this.
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I looked on line last night the dates on the places I found had a 2012 date on them. I checked with the boss at work today, he said the government regulations ban producing enamel anymore. Also said that Centauri was out of production when DuPont sold out to Axalta. If it still has DuPont labels on the can it’s at least 10 year old paint. At any rate Axalta doesn’t produce Centauri paint at all.

13. squirrel

squirrel

14. Binkman

Binkman

I can't do much until this quarantine is lifted.
    Thanks for the input guy's.

15. I learned to shoot with Centari back in the early 80s' & used Imron on many a frame & chassis, but just like laquer...Basecoat/Clearcoat left them in the dust!

If anyone wants to try some better & lower priced paints/clears/candies, etc, Look into Tamco. Many of us who have used the "Big Two" for decades are switching.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no help here, but my paint guy is open just a mile up the road and I'm in hate-fuck MI.

17. RICH B and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  18. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I feel that Axalta is fast and loose with the name "Centari"
    Bottom line is that looking for fresh Centari Acrylic Enamel color is a dead end.
    Prove me wrong.

19. Cheese n rice, buy some damn nason ful-cryl and paint the son of a bitch. I'm right, no you're right, I'm older so that means I'm smarter, sounds like a group of old women! :rolleyes:

20. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I would agree if the OP wasn't trying to match Centari color he already has.

21. squirrel

squirrel

that's what I've been doing lately....

warhorseracing likes this.
  22. Straight from my Dupont dealer. What im saying is to mix the paint code in ful-cryl. A good paint guy will do what is needed to match it to the centauri that's already been used. 20200421_094941.jpg

harpo1313 likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Centari... 1985.
    65B3AC59-3067-4433-BE8E-CC1F063504C9.jpeg

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm sure you must have a PPG dealer around somewhere I believe they have acrylic enamel in their Omni line. Lippy

olscrounger likes this.
  25. To quote the original poster in post #3........
    "I bought some Centari there 6 weeks ago, right before all this virus thing started."
    There must actually be some right there in El Verano, California right now in the closed down store, wouldn't you think?. I would drive by the store and see if there might be a Hotline phone number taped to the front door or something. Or for less time investment than the drive, I would drop a note in the mail to the store address or P.O. box. Someone has to be checking the mail once in a while.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  26. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I use Nason single stage at work all the time it is good quality at a cheaper price . I see a lot of garage paint jobs on the H.A.M.B.. Single stage paint is definitely more forgiving when not done in a paint booth than base clear. I would recommend Nason single stage for using at home it is a very easy paint to use.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Key words "a good paint guy" The dealer spells Centari incorrectly. Accuracy is critical in paint work.

28. Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  29. Well mine came up that way from the swipe on my phone, not sure about his. But it sounds like you've got a good handle on all of this big guy. ;) honestly i couldn't give a shit :D

54vicky and 427 sleeper like this.