Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dupont 80s red oxide

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by nh-lead-man, Dec 5, 2018.

1. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Looking for a lacquer that matches close to the d 80 s red oxide primer it has a washed out pinkish hue . I am restoring an old shoe box like my first car it was primer 55 years ago I have a replacement car everything about the car is done in the same fashion but without the oxide primer ,Appreciate any input you can offer thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

this might be the last of the DuPont descendants red oxide primer...it looks like this when it's on a car. More brown than red or pinkish. I bought it about 5 years ago, at the local paint supplier that used to sell DuPont before it turned into Axalta.

I expect you could get some modern primer (2k type or similar) tinted to look more like what you describe. I wanted to use the real thing, as close as possible.

primer.jpg progress74.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. try PPG DP74lf red epoxy primer mixed with either DP48lf white and/or DP90lf black to achieve the color you want. that will give you an "old" primer finish

alanp561 likes this.
  4. Locate Paint Guru. He mixes lacquer and can hook you up

I had a paint store mix up a single stage to match the red oxide from rustoleum once. Looked good. You can control the gloss with flatners

5. A Boner

A Boner

Why do the red oxide primer paints available today look so bright orange? The brownish color primer looks so much better! The orangish stuff sticks out like dog balls.