Register now to get rid of these ads!

dune buggy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gromit

Gromit

Never seen one like this untill I was watching this cinematic classic from the early 60's last night.. these things common back in the day? (the tall guy with the club is Richard Kiel.. Jaws from the bond films)

[​IMG]:eek:

2. kennkat

kennkat

Oh Yes! Very popular... I have seen them on so many old ranches from the California high desert area to the San Joaquin valley that I could not count. Made from everything from model "T's & A's" (pun intended) to cut a down 1950's caddy hearse! And I do recall seeing such creatures as this on the beaches when I was young....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

We had a place on the Colorado river 30 years ago and there was one of these made out of a post war Buick abandoned behind our place. We got it to start with a battery and some TLC and drove the crap out of it.

We got booted out a year later by the Feds and just left it there.

4. Gromit

Gromit

a hearse? ... well at least it would have a long bed to cary stuff... I'm a Myers Manx generation guy..Not seen anything like this. Close up shows it was not a roadster to start with, but still I guess they were just old cars at one time :/

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. My parents would have called that a strip down. That is actually what they called all hot rods.

6. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Oh hell yes! A friend had one made from a 57 4dr chevy, 283, powerglide. We used to take it out to the desert east of San Diego and chase rabbits and just generally haul ass and have a ton of fun. There were LOTS of those around, they were the original dune buggys.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya find lots of them down here in the desert. They called 'em "brush buggies" I believe.

8. Back in the late 50s they were all over the sand dunes at the Oregon coast. mostly stripped down and shortened old Mopars with widened wheels.

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

starring Arch Hall, Jr. He was in a few movies back in the day, wasn't he?

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My brother built this one in the early 60's, 39 Plymouth with a Chrysler "Spitfire" six. It gives us quite a chuckle to look at it today.

Attached Files:

11. PJKeally

PJKeally

Early version of Paddy Wagon,:confused::rolleyes:

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was built to resemble the "Dog Pound" trucks from the cartoons.

13. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> How about an original 1966 Dune Buggy redone Two years ago.
    <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Attached Files:

14. I lived in Pismo Beach as a kid in the 1960's and there were a few of those buggies running around. In the late 70's I moved to the SoCal desert and it was almost all VW buggies then. Around 1981 I found a dune buggy junkyard that had alot of those old water pumpers. I bought a few made from tri-five Chevys. Swap meet gold back then.

15. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Sorry old picture, here are new one's

Attached Files:

16. I think that might be the second-generation Meyers Manx, the first ones had a plastic emblem on the front of the hood, and the 2nd Gen ones had the bump you see, for a sticker of the tail-less cat...

BTW, and probably O/T, Bruce Meyers is still at it, and making buggies, he's in his 80's and still slingin' fiberglass

www.manxclub.com

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

my pop made one out of an EXTREMELY clean 50 shoebox back in the 60's. My dads friend blew the engine and planned to junk it so my pop said he could do something with it..The friend didnt realize what he had planned for it though! Wish i could find the picture book it was in

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Anybody know what a Deer Isle pickup is ?? Come on you guys from Maine.

19. DrJ

DrJ

Some other teenage friends and I got picked up in one hitch hiking home from the beach one day. It had been a '56 Cadillac with everything except the firewall and windshield gone and an 8 point roll cage welded to the frame. it was fun!

20. In high school(64') we had a 5o's Desoto,no body just floor dash front seat.broom handle to the carb and a hemi.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I built this one out of a 59 Ford Retractable Ht, probably not one one of my smarter moves, but it was 1968 and the Ford was worth about $100.00.

Attached Files:

22. We had one of those at our auto shop in HS around 75 or 76, It was a chopped down 57 Chev wagon. The guys in auto shop were always getting in to trouble with it bombing around out back of the HS.

23. Had one of those for my first car. Lots o fun.

24. pitman

pitman

Anything like a New Hampster pickup?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  25. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

This thread started out good, but it got killed with Off Topic vehicles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.