Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohlly

Ohlly

I had a 65 C10 (sold) that was lowered for years, then I raised just the front last year. One day I was driving down the road 50-60mph and past a guy I know & waved as I drove by, when I seen him later in the week he asked if I pulled the motor. :confused:

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That's funny to me, because I see way more air bag set-ups than hydraulic set-ups. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a single hydraulic suspension set-up on the HAMB- maybe it's more of a lowrider thing?

Maybe the public hasn't caught on that air ride technology is greatly improved and (in my opinion) now more popular than hydraulics?

3. Ohlly

Ohlly

a lot of people ask if my 57 150 is a 55, then look confused when I say 57.

4. PARA

PARA
    from Nanaimo,

Why is it people that tell my wife we did our (made in Canada 2 dr sedan) '50 Ford wrong: a)don't know that Canada made Fords, b) it is a Ford 2 dr Sedan and not a 4 dr sedan with the doors welded and filled, c)their ? or their ? had one just like it only theirs was different and finally (?)they would like to show us how they did it better but their cars are always somewhere else?

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Today as I was gassing up a man at the next pump approached with a grin on his face, "You're from Can~on City aren't you?, because I see your truck over there all of the time."

I go to Can~on City about once a year to the Holy Cross Abby show, so I know he has my truck mixed up with somebody else's ride, probably the most distinctive thing about it is that it's black? There aren't any '29 king cab Chivvys like mine anywhere.

He was a nice fellow and I enjoyed our chat. I told him I wasn't busy and was heading out to get a beer, ask him if he wanted to join me. He beat a hasty retreat, probably thinking he better avoid me, I guess :eek: (it was 9:30am).

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yah, with all the P-51 Mustang experts in the world I'm absolutely shocked the kid didn't recognize the inspection panel for what it was. Gee whizz, whatv are kids coming to these days when they don't see a 66 year old aircraft part for what it is.

Ok, the kid was wrong for his comment, but to tell the kid to fuck off and get a a manager is way out of line. Would it have been really hard to givbe a little more accurate description of the part. You know... "p-51" Mustang. That would have widened his eyes in a hurry.

Sorry dude, you missed a glorious opportunity to tell him what it was,maybe a chance to eductae him a little and maybe, just maybe, get him interested in something that's totally cool, all the while scoring a few points for yourself.

The "dumb" thing said by an "expert" was your comments. Not the kids flippant remark.

7. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Saxxon is right on! :) You coulda made that kid's day with a kind word and explanation.

SAFU

8. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

yeh i have a 79 fairmont with weld wheels and ive gotten few yellouts sayin "Nice Nova!" ok thanks whatever. they liked my car, call it what you want. :DLOL

9. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

If we were any closer to the airport, the shop would have been on a taxiway. I'm not responsible for other peoples ignorance. If someone aks, I'll tell em, if they jump to conclusions, fuck em.

10. Put a 350 in it.....

11. Well, he just said it was a stock motor - apparently, stock to some other car, would be my guess.

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

We had a (insert a 50's car with fins and chrome here) just like that!
    I smile and thank them, they just don't know any better, and there's no point in making them feel foolish.
    Nostalgia is remembering things better than they actually were. That's why we do what we do!

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

That's a good one, I can't wait till my buddy pops by driving yet another one of his many "collector" MG collector cars....

;)

14. moefuzz

moefuzz

-At the local tire shop looking for big and little blackwalls for my crager ss rims on the fenderless roadster project...

"Hi want to buy a set of 15 inch blackwalls for my car, they have to be blackwall both sides and I don't want raised lettering either".

"Well I can get you some BF crapritch all season radials?, they have a whitewall on one side but we can just turn them around"

"Nope, I want blackwalls both sides"

"well how about some BG crapritch Radials TA's? They have white lettering on one side but the other side is black lettering".

"Nope, they have to be Blackwall both sides and no raised lettering"

"well ok, how about these, they have a serrated sidewall and are black both sides?"

"Yeah, that looks ok, I need a pair of 205 15 70 front and a set of 235 15 60 rears"

"YOU CAN'T DO THAT, YOU CAN'T RUN A DIFFERENT SIZE TIRE ON THE FRONT THAN WHAT'S ON THE BACK!"

"I can do whatever I want and if you don't want my $800 then I will find someone, some tire shop where they know what the customer wants and can supply it or maybe You can just go fetch the manager for me before I walk out the door"

-Finding a good ear seems to be just as hard as finding someone who will sell you the parts you are looking for without running 10 minutes of interference on the play.

15. I went through that same "you can't run different size tires on the back" bullshit once too. I think they train tire shop people to say that to try to get you to buy four tires at the same time. I haven't bought a new tire in so long, because of that, it's not funny - and my current driver? Bigger tires in the back.

16. Had it happen in high school a few times with my first car ('66 Mustang, not totally H.A.M.B. friendly). Always had other kids asking me stupid questions, especially about the year. I don't know, maybe I'm a bit of a dick, but, I always felt it was pretty easy to tell the years apart on the Mustangs. It did seem to change when another kid got a '67 and most could see they were fairly different. I miss working on that car.

But, it wasn't totally surprising that people at that place were that ignorant about it, even if it was just a bad battery I was the one asked to "fix" their cars so they could get to the mall or game, etc. Taught me pretty quick that I don't like working on new cars.

17. They have PepBoys stores at airports now? Sweet!

18. DAMN,I dont care who you are thats funny.........i kinda agree its not any good being a complete assh**e when your around this kids,they could be the next hotrodder if the guys he meets are decent to him,I kinda understand it with the guys that are at shows with a car they buy and act like they know what it takes to build,hell let the BMW riders and tuner guys be the jerks............JMO

19. I just had DISCOUT TIRE COMPANY refuse to let me put air in the airshocks on my 56 straight axle car cause one side had leaked down (35 year old shocks) they said the Manager says no way we dont want to be responsible for that shock or car if something happens!...so I left went to Jack Furrier tires a bout 3 blocks away and they helped me oout,I also sent them 4 guys from our club for wheels and tires plus I bought a set myself....FU discount!!,,,,,,,,,nice to have some cars guys workin in the biz,and they sold me big and littles(furriers tire co.) for the chevy TOO!

20. motomatt383

motomatt383
    from Durham, NC

i was at a show recently, sitting behind a buddy of mine's coupe, we were talking. a guy walks up looks the car over, walks to the back and asks about the T-5 transmission install. and I quote. how did ya put that in? without missing a beat, my buddy replied. "Nuts and Bolts"

21. petes65usa

petes65usa

I had a 69 Malibu with a bad ass 454 in it and I left the 307 badges on the fenders because they were the originals. I cant believe the father/son or husband/wife couples that would walk up to it at a show look at the motor and say to there kid or wife....Nice 307 ???

22. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

The guys at the tire/exhaust place I spend my money at thought it was hilarious when I had them put 30" mud grips on the back with 195 60 15's up front for the winter.

Its a mom and pop style shop, everybody's covered in grease, and its yuppie free.

23. Why did you need to carry the part in to the store to buy a rattle can? It's a good thing you weren't painting the entire plane. Woulda been tough to get it through the door. All you needed to do was to tell the guy to open the cage because you needed some paint. No drama, no baiting some kid so you could go off on him, no BS story that really never happened.
    BTW, I have had some, online, arguments about my 58 Mustang.

24. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

"Does it run"......... "No I use it for a yard ornament"

25. A couple of weeks ago an old geezer (around 70) enters my garage, asking for directions to a nearby car repair shop. I gave him the directions and as he leaves, he stops and take a long look at my Model A roadster and says: Too bad someone ruined a nice old car like this!

I don't really care what people think of my car, but that fucker came into MY garage and asked for MY help. Seriously, where are people's manners?

Needless to say, I got a bit rude, and he left pretty quick.

On the other hand, it's the only negative comment I've had about my car. Most of the times people seem to like it, even though they don't have a clue what it is (A lady once asked me if I owned "that old sports car". Well, she was kinda right).

[​IMG]

26. 65COMET

65COMET

I have a 65 Comet drag car and was at a car show yesterday.I have a small storyboard with a photo of my car launching wheels up.I overheard an "expert" telling his friend that the reason my car does wheelstands is because I have two batteries in the trunk!I guess the combo of horsepower,4 speed,and big tire has nothing to do with it! ROY

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You actually expected AutoZone to have an aftermarket intake for your '60 (not 60') Caddy (not caddy) 390? You've got to be kidding. Who's "clueless"?

28. terryr

terryr
    from earth

These days, "intakes" means the tube that goes from the air cleaner to the throttle body.

29. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

I am not aware of any aftermarket intakes for that family of caddy motors. Might be something here or on eBay.

30. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

The douche bag behind the counter at "Megga Auto Parts Store" telling me that a Fram filter is a quality piece...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.