Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Driving into the Syracuse Nats for the Old Skool Round Up i started to over heat because of all the people not smart enough to move. I was at idle with my foot on the brake the whole way across the fairgrounds.

I'm running at 250-260degrees with coolant spewing out of the radiator. Atleast 10 people came up to my window and told me that im overheating. "Really? What gave you that idea? Thanks for telling me, I had no idea!"

Just ask Davethedog, he was stuck infront of me.

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

This is the reason at a show I will walk away from my car as soon as I kill the motor. Keeps me from having to answer all the stupid fn questions. How do you get in that thing? Do the cops mess with you? Man I bet you get terrible gas mileage I usually tell them at this point it gets 30 on the highway and walk away.

3. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I am always getting "What color are ya gonna paint it?" "You didn't drive that here, did you?" In Colombus Oh. And, "These really look good when you get a good set of wheels on them." when mine are powder coated steelies with Ford caps. And total strangers tell me what color it should be. Faded primer is my choice.

4. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

I drove my 51 to work and a lady I work with asked "Does it run?"

5. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I had a guy argue with me over what kind of car I have.
    He was positive it was not a 40 chevy and that I didn't actually know what I had, and was trying like hell to enlighten me.
    It's a custom ya dumbfuck - I know what I started with. jeez

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Was at a party in the '56 and some guy is talking to my buddy, I'm standing behind them a bit, but I can hear what he is saying.
    Guy looking at the '56 says "That must be a 3/4 ton car". My buddy asks him why. Guy points at my wheels and says "Lookit all dem lugnuts. Must be a 3/4 ton car. Regular 1/2 ton cars got 5 lugs" My buddy says "No, you are wrong. 3/4 ton cars have 8 lugs. This here is a one-ton car".
    I nearly choked on a sniper laugh that hit me in the middle of a swig of my beer.

Attached Files:

7. Brian C

Brian C

NOPE!......pushed it all the way here to work.......here's your sign. :D

8. buickbelle

buickbelle

Said to Mike while looking at Kool Kat. "This is one cool car, WHAT IS IT?".

Overheard comments made about my 83 Regal a former Ltd, that we are busy giving it a Grand National look, simply because there is no such thing as a 83 Grand National. "I didn't know Grand Nationals came in white".

Carrie

9. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I have old guys look at my 55 Plymouth with a 440 and tell me how they used to do that when they were young. Stick 440's in 55's? Yep......didn't the 440 come out in 66?

and I get a lot of "when you going to finish it?" "what color you going to paint it?" questions.

isn't Patina a color?

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I worked for a guy ( yeah he owned the shop) and when a buddy of mine rolled up in his SBC powered model A, he was asked what size camS it had. OK the shop owner drove a Marauder.. and it has four cams, he thought all engines did too.

11. bigolds

bigolds

Set-up...a good buddy of ours was wanting a chrome grille for his 55 Chevy P/U, But the wife was having a hard time with the asking price over at the swap meet. Me and another buddy decided to ablige him. We went to the store and got some aluminum foil and plated it for him (shiney side out, of course).

Experts...Oh they do that to mess with speed radar on the road!!!
    ...Look at the plating flaking off of the grille!!!
    ...that's silver leaf!!!

12. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

I think my all time favorite is "What are you gonna do with that thing?"

Well sir, I am going to drive it. That is what it was made for. What do you do with your car?

13. LULL

LULL

"do you know your cars are rusting?"

14. ken1939

ken1939

One was already taken, it will be nice when its done UGH

Next in line is My dad had one just like it, 47 Dodge :) Well its a 39 Chevy.

Next was the "hey thats a holley fuel injected double pumper on there"
    (Carter ABF). Holley made that?

When explaining an electrical issue on the distributor, I was informed there has to be spark :eek:

15. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

weve been told numerous times that we got ripped off on our three trucks. our first was a 1966 chevy c10 with a 328 for 250 bucks we drove it home. Second was a 1969 ford f100 with a 240 inline six that had dirt in the gas lines 650 bucks. Finnaly was our 1965 f100 300 inline six that neede two brake drums for 300 bucks.Weve been told that the since the trucks "look" like crap that we got ripped. Idiots. . . :cool:

16. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Guys at shows who ask if this is your car, you say yes, then they blab for 10 minutes about their car and then walk away.

Seen in small letters on a car: "Of course you would do it differently."

17. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

I've heard these two gems at least a dozen times in the month I've owned my truck. So many answers for dumb questions, but sometimes IT IS better to just walk away.

-Screws

18. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

got caught one time with a bad connector on the firewall on my 64. Headlights went out and I couldn't figure out the problem on the side of the road at the time. Had to haul ass home at 10pm. Every stop light and person on the sidewalk: "hey your headlights aren't on." No shit, thanks.

19. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

and I get a lot of "when you going to finish it?" "what color you going to paint it?" questions.isn't Patina a color?[/QUOTE]

Ive gotten "how" you going to paint it? "with paint hopefully" and yes patina is a color . . . one of my favorite ones.:D

20. Firecracker

Firecracker

While I was getting tires put on my 53 chevy four-door I had a guy argue with me that it was a 41 Buick.
    I also had a guy look at my 235 and say " that didn't sound like a v8 when you pulled up."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was traveling across Oklahoma in my 39 Ford.
    There was a guy in a 79 Chevy truck running about the same speed
    so we were kinda running together for about an hour at 75 MPH.

When I pulled off for gas near Oklahoma City he pulled in for gas too
    and asked, "What kind of motor does that thing have?"

My answer, "Same as yours"

When they ask what kind of gas mileage I get I tell'em, "Same as a new truck"

And its true. When I am pulling a load I get about the same as the guys in new trucks pulling a load

22. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

this comment has nothing to do with cars but funny

i work at the airport in birmingham alabama and a lady walks up to me and says i thought atlanta ga. airport was bigger than this
    my reply was yes mam is is but your in birmingham alabama
    her jaw dropped and she said she was supposed to pick up her sister in atlanta she followed all the signs to the airport but in the wrong state

23. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

I love the guys that try to tell me that Chrysler didn't make a Hemi till the 60's and that it only came in one size, 426, when I tell them I'm planning on putting a 331 into my Royal.

Or this one I get about my daily driver Firebird. "That's a nice lookin bird, what cha runnin in it?"
    "V6"
    "That's fuckin lame, you should get some balls and drop a V8 in it."
    "Are you going to pay for my gas, asshole?"

To be honest, I don't mind questions. I'm more than happy to talk cars, any kind of car so long as it is pre-1980, and share knowledge with other car lovers.

But, when I give you the answer to your question about MY car, don't tell me I'm wrong. And don't swear that I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to MY car. I can't stand those people. I swear for some people it is physically impossible to admit they made a mistake or are not right all of the time. I guess it is true what they say, opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  24. A gentlemanly answer. Very elegant, sir.

25. Had a older guy ask me why I ruined a 37 Ford antique by making a hot rod out of it. I said car was only 11 years old when it was made into a hot rod and far from being a antique. Or someone looks at the rod and says dam kids screw everything up and I say yea I'm 68 I outta know better.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  26. buickbelle

buickbelle

When Mike is asked this question he looks the clown right in the eye. and says "Primer is a color".

Carrie

27. off-beat

off-beat

"These make really cool rat rods"

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

A visitor to my place brought a guy from Oklahoma who got so mad about my 39 Ford not having the flathead motor in it that he had to go sit in the truck and I didnt get to tell him the 39 hasnt had a flathead for 50 years

29. Hambone64

Hambone64

How'd u mount that Che-vro-lay 350 inn'at Ford? (56 Fairlane) I b'leeve they come with 302's. I gots an untouched 302 outta a 57 T-Bird I'll let you have it for a hunnert bones. Watcha say?

Are you gonna treat that rust?

I didnt know they had white walls in 1956?

This cars been repainted, they didnt make nuffin but two tones on 56 Fords

And my personal favorite---Is it faster than it looks?

30. buickbelle

buickbelle

What a great idea!!! Then asK, Hey, did you dent my door?

Carrie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.